Quantum Turbo Z + Metz CL4 Issue

zarrir_junior

<p>This week i acquired my first battery pack, a very lightly used Quantum Turbo Z for my Metz CL4. It charged fine, as per the user manual instructions. When connected to the flash, it did not power the Metz up. No reaction. I researched and discovered the CL4 still needs to have alkaline batteries inside even with the Quantum on. I put the batteries on and was then able to fire many times (using the Metz test button), almost instantly (which was expected with the battery pack). However, i noticed two weird things: First, the High Voltage light on the Quantum never turned on as it was mentioned in the user manual. Second, when i turned the Quantum off and removed the cord, the flash still fired as if the battery pack was attached, recycling very quickly!! Is this normal? It looks as if the Duracells got crazy and picked up extra power from the Quantum for some minutes. I appreciate any inputs.</p>

<p>Your last question--the AAs were powering the flash. The pertinent question would be, was the Turbo Z powering the flash when it was attached or were the AAs actually powering the flash?</p>

<p>I would e-mail or call Quantum directly. When it comes to older packs, instructions may have changed. It is always best to ask the source. I found this out the hard way. I followed old instructions on a pack someone gave me and ruined the battery.</p>

<p>The pack of duracells was not new, they had been already used to fire about 50 shots. So even when i turned on the flash with the Duracells alone, it would take forever for the green light to appear. Then, after each shot, about 40 seconds to recycle. When i plugged the Quantum, the green light remained on instantly (even after each shot) so definitely the Quantum Z was the primary source of power, not the AAs. But i was curious to know to which extent it was powering the flash. And if this behaviour is normal or not.</p>

<p>First off, your should be using Quantum's ES1 (black Energy Saver) in place of one of the Alkaline AA's in the battery tray.<br>

Next, the High Voltage indicator light must be on. If it is not on, then it is not delivering the high voltage need for the flash tube.<br>

To test any flash, with any Turbo, to see if it is providing power to the flash, the flash should be in Manual 1/1 (full power). The AA's, if they are the only source or power, will take much longer than if the Turbo Zwas providing power (around 2 seconds).<br>

You can send the Turbo Z and charger into Quantum to test and evaluate. There is no charge, except if repairs are needed and then only by free estimate.</p>