NEC P221W-BK or Dell 2408WFP? Using i1 Disply LT

<p>This will be my first real monitor purchase and I'm still learning about workflow and color management. I just use one monitor--replacing a very old Trinitron CRT. I've narrowed my search down to the P221 or the Dell 2408. Currently B&H is out of the NEC with no backorder status available.<br /><br>

In your opinion which of these 2 will be better for RAW workflow and color management? Also, I have an existing i1 Display LT (I believe the only difference between the Display LT and the Display 2 is only the number of monitors supported). Will the Display LT be a better solution for one of these than the other? If it won't be great for either, I have no problems replacing that solution, but only if necessary.<br /><br>

Thanks,<br>

Kristin</p>

<p>I just checked and B&H evidently has the NEC P221W with Spectraview II in stock at a great price.<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612998-REG/NEC_P221W_BK_SV_MultiSync_P221W_BK_22_Widescreen.html<br>

The important difference between the EyeOne LT and Display 2 is the ability to specify custom luminance, color temperature and gamma values. The LT software is pretty much presets for those that don't want to get too involved in the display calibration/profiling process.<br>

The NEC P221W with Spectraview is an integrated monitor/calibration package.</p>

<p>The NEC is a far better solution because the software and panel communicate in setting the desired target calibration (in high bit), the other system makes you futz around with the OSD controls ever time you calibrate and the “corrections” are all LUT based (not based inside the panel). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I just Got a NEC p221w with Spectraview II software and put it in service on Dec 23 and it is GREAT , I was like you in that it replaced a old CRT That I got from a school.<br>

I just hooked it up and it was on the blue side so I ran the Spectra View with the presets as it came out of the box and WOW<br>

The price at B&H is very good also, I thought about just getting the display w/o the software But i do not think you can beat the complete package it is worth the Money. </p>

<p>both of them wont give you a better raw workflow, they are monitor only.</p>

<p>both of them will show you amazing color when calibarted properly.</p>

<p>both of them can be calibrate with a eyeone LT and the preset of the LT is mainly what you only need for 99% of the user out there; 5500k, 6500k or native and gamma 1.8 or 2.2, and luminance 90-110-120 and else.. you have what you need in those menu.</p>

<p>For the same price if they are i would go with a NEC as it is a better monitor for me but its possible and im pretty sure that having them both on your desk you wont see much of a difference between them...so go with the one you can put your hand on or order directly from NEC your NEC monitor ; )</p>

<p>I am trying to understand how the software works. So does the kit come with Spectraview software AND a callibration puck? Or do you need to provide the puck yourself? If you have to provide the puck, where can I find a list of supported devices? <br>

I was REALLY hoping to not have to resell the Eye-One Display LT, but if I need to than I will. </p>

<p>when you buy the P221 bundle kit it come with the software and the puck. If you dont want the kit, yes you can use your i1 LT (maily the exact same puck as the 1id2 only the software is call LT) withotu spectraview or with it if you decide do buy the software alone later (no real reason i think consider that the P221 is not calibrated internaly like the other bigger NEC if im right?)</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Let me try to ask the question a different way. Is the puck that comes with an NEC monitor with Spectraview II a specially calibrated device as opposed to just an X-Rite EyeOne puck with NEC's logo imprinted on it?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Might be as NEC does OEM a unit with filters that mate to the wide gamut displays. I’d check. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Well, here's the answer I got directly from NEC's tech support:<br>

"the puck is a EyeOne Display 2 made for NEC by Xrite and ours does support the wide gamut, the one Xrite sells does not "<br>

Kristin, this says to me that you probably don't want to use your LT puck if you choose to go with this NEC monitor.</p>

<p>You can use the LT but the accuracy of the targeted white point will be off a bit. You could just play with the target values and adjust given the time. Or measure with another instrument like an EyeOne Pro and pop the values into a custom white point. But if you have no puck, you should get the wide gamut filtered version. If you have one, it can work. </p>

<p>Hi Chas,<br>

Thanks for looking into that. Did you find that answer on their website? I had poked around on their website for a while, but didn't find the info I was looking for. If you have a link to the page where you found that, would you mind posting it? <br>

I guess I'll be reselling my i1 LT, but apparently for quite a loss. </p>

<p>I had a live chat with an NEC tech support person, but there is a vague reference to the issue in the FAQ's for SpectraviewII. The choice of getting this monitor or any other is yours, as is the choice of selling your LT. Personally, faced with this choice and armed with this information, I'd choose to use the hardware that comes with the NEC monitor.<br>

BTW... My interest in this topic is because I'm also weighing a similar monitor buying decision.</p>

<p>I am considering getting the Dell U2410 monitor. Currently I am running the NEC MultiSyunc LCD 2690 WUXi. This latter came with NEC SpectraView II GammaComp MD device. It also came with the Spectraview II software. <br /> <br /> Could it be possible that I might be able to use the NEC device and software to profile the new Dell monitor, does anyone know? Otherwise I have an old Eye One Pro, but do much prefer the SpectraView device and<br /> software for the lcd, specially after reading the above posts.<br>

I will be interested in the replies.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Ellie<br>

Innovative Imaging Studio<br /> http://www.shadowsandlight.ca | http://www.iistudio.com</p>

• 1 year later...