Nikon MF lenses on m4/3 cameras

bob_tescione

<p>I've just, in the past few days, discovered the micro 4/3 cameras from Panasonic & Olympus. Ive been a dedicated Nikon film camera user for many years (also a Nikon P&S digital). Ive found out that there are aftermarket adapters available to use Nikon MF SLR lenses on the Panasonic & Olympus M4/3 bodies.</p>

<p>Does anyone here use the adapted MF lenses on the m4/3 bodies? How does it work out? Is focusing a problem?</p>

<p>So far the GF1 body appeals to me, but it may not be the best choice for using MF lenses. I'd appreciate hearing opinions about these cameras with adapted lenses.</p>

<p>Thanks for any help/opinions.<br>

Bob</p>

<p>I use several older Nikkors on my G1. Manual focusing is slightly annoying, as focus assist (to magnify the image) requires two button presses in order to activate it. However, on the GF1, with the latest update, it is only one button press.<br>

I use my 50 1.8 all the time. Longer MF lenses (I have the 100 2.8 and 75-150 3.5 Series E MF lenses) and the 55 2.8 Micro Nikkor also work well, though I have found less use for them. On the other hand, I found my AF lenses more awkward to use, as the manual focus travel is rather short compared to lenses designed for manual focus.</p>

<p>I use Nikon MF lenses with G1. Using MF lenses with LCD (not EVF) would be awkward unless you mount the camera/lens combo on a tripod. Being able to hold the camera in a conventional way is a big plus when you hand-hold the camera. When I decided to make a move from Nikon to m4/3 with a plan to use my Nikon MF lnenses with an adapter about a year ago, I stopped looking at Olympus because its prototype had no EVF.</p>

<p>So far as the (manual) focusing is concerned, I would say that there is no optical viewfinder of any DSLR (or even any 35mm film body) that excels EVF on G1/GH1 (or the external EVF on E-P2), which is based on my experiences with Nikon D2H and D40 digitals, and F2, F3, FE, FM2, FM2n, F90, F100 and Canon new F-1 film bodies.</p>

<p>As David pointed out, newer lenses (AF or even Ai-s) might be a little tricky to focus manually because of their shorter focus throw. Ai-s 50/1.2 was VERY tricky in this regard. I've swithed from Ai-s 50/1.8 to Ai 50/1.8 and the latter is much more comfortable to focus. FWIW, Ai105/2.5 and the old micro 55/3.5 (compensating aperture) works excellently on G1.<br /><br /><br />As for the Nikon F to m4/3 adapter, I use one from Rayqual which is the same one that used to be sold at Cameraquest of Stephen Gandy (now he stopped selling Rayqual one after Voigtlander, of which he is the authorized US dealer, started to make one). It is the most expensive one but is very finely made. I have no experience with the other adapters, but this user group in Flickr will give you very usable info:<br /><a href="http://www.flickr.com/groups/1084614@N23/">http://www.flickr.com/groups/1084614@N23/</a></p>

<p>I have used: 50/1.4 non-Ai, 35/2 AIS, 28/2.8 AI, 24/2.8 AIS, 20/2.8 AIS and the 105/2.5 AI with a G1 and Voightlander adapter.</p>

<p>The performance of the Nikon lenses us very good. I especially like the 35/2 AIS. The 50/1.4 fun to use wide open. But none of them are mediocre in any way. So it works out very well. The smaller Nikon lenses are easier to handle with the smaller G1 body.</p>

<p>Manual focusing using the G1 EVF is a breeze. You do have to push two buttons. Accurate focus is very easy to achieve. I also focus the Nikons using the LCD when the camera is on a tripod. This also works very well. Because I never use the LCD unless the G1 is not on a tripod, I can't comment on how the GF-1 LCD or on how the optional EVF would work out. The DOF is double what you would get with a film/D3/D700 body. So focus is not that critical and scale focusing is practical using Nikon primes.<br>

The Nikon lenses are heavy and large compared to actual m-4/3 lenses. There are no in-camera (or RAW) barrel distortion or CA correction parameters available. No F stop data is saved with the images. The few available fast m-4/3 lenses work very well too and have none of these disadvantages. But you can not scale focus with any of them.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use Fd lenses on the G1 and it works well. As others have said the EVF is essential if you use fast or long lenses in order to get accurate focus and keep the camera steady. If you shoot from a tripod the LCD workd fine but handheld it can be difficult to focus with a very fast lens. My 85 F1.2 (effective 170 f1.2) is especially difficult to use.</p>