Al Kaplan has passed away.

ralph_jensen

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This is sad news. I gave one of Al's prints of a very young Bob Dylan (with chubby cheeks!) and Joan Baez playing together to my Dylan loving older sister, and it occupies a place of honor on her wall. I don't know if many of you folks remember, but their was a T shirt with Al's curmudgeonly photo (cigarette hanging out of mouth) on the front sold via this site a number of years ago. Every time I have ever worn it people have given me the strangest looks and asked "Who the hell is that guy, and why is he on your T shirt??". Tonight I will put it on and drink a toast to old Al. </p>

<p>Al and I exchanged a few e-mails over the years. The quality of his posts indicate he had more practical knowledge of all things Leica than almost anyone on the net. He was the polar opposite of photographers who own a Leica for reasons other than photographic,. A character who could be defensive but having a big heart and willing to share knowledge. He will be missed but his posts live on. Now how do you file a Rokkor 40 to bring up the 35mm frame (smile). </p>

<p>I was a fan of his on pnet and of his photo blog, I own one of his t shirts, I will wear it often in the summer to honour his memory. he was kind to me when I first posted on this forum. A very fine photographer indeed.</p>