Having Dark Vignetting Issues

jackie_baisa

<p>I am shooting with a 5D and just started experiencing dark vignetting in the lower 30% of my photos. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. It is not a lens issue, as this happens with all lenses. It also ONLY happens when I shoot in landscape mode (if I shoot portrait, there is no vignetting). It's probably the most bizarre issue I've ever had with a camera before. I'll take it in to get serviced soon, but wondering if anyone else has any ideas?</p>

<p> </p><div>00Vpxk-222961584.thumb.jpg.200c7d6d0f5b9435ce6f97d9bf86e4b9.jpg</div>

<p>Your shutter speed was too high for use with flash. Both shutter curtain need to be clear of sensor when the flash fires. That only happens at a shutter speed for 1/200 second or slower for the original 5D. The MkII its 1/250 second. </p>

<p>Question, What do you mean by "landscape mode"? The 5D only have Auto, Program, Tv, Av, manual, bulb. </p>

<p>Jackie,</p>

<p>I'd agree with Steven but for the fact that your EXIF shows 1/160 second shutter speed, it also doesn't record flash as being used. You have a sync or a shutter issue.</p>

<p>So did you use a flash and if so what type? Some flashes and remote controllers are very slow and 1/160 might still be too high a speed. If you didn't use a flash you have a shutter issue.</p>

<p>I realize what he ment after I posted the question. Also I don't have the capability of reading EXIF data with my work Laptop (My personal is down and needs to have software reloaded). </p>

<p>Scott and Dan could be right if you were not using a flash. You might want to check and compare the EXIF data on a good shot and one that is bad. If there are no differences then you probably have shutter or mirror issue.</p>

<p>"I was not using a flash."</p>

<p>Take the lens off and set the camera to "bulb". Press the shutter while looking in the mirror box. I bet you will see the mirror not going all the way up...or could it be the sub mirror that directs light to the AF sensor? It would seem to me that when holding the camera in portrait postion, gravity is less of an issue. So the mirror can get out of the way for those shots.</p>

<p>Jason</p>

<p>If this was a shutter problem, then I would expect the dark-light transition to be sharper, and the same effect to occur in both landscape and portrait orientation. I agree with PF that the mirror is the obvious suspect. The bottom of the image is at the top of the sensor, so if the mirror was not lifting completely this is what you would see. Try the experiment of taking a shot in inverted landscape orentation (penatprism down).</p>