OM Lens questions

matthew_newton

<p>Its post Christmas and I have the go ahead from my wife to blow a ton of money on new (well, new to me) Zuiko glass! By blow a lot of money I mean maybe a couple of hundred at the most.<br>

Lens I was thinking of getting were Zuiko 28/2.8 (to probably replace my Tamron 28/2.5), Zuiko 35/2.8 and Zuiko 30-70/3.5-4.5. If I can squeeze it in between selling some old lenses and my spending money I was also thinking of getting a Zuiko 100/2.8.<br>

I personally like primes over zooms, but I do use zooms on occasion. The Tamron 35-70/3.5 I have, I've never really grown to like a whole lot. I think it is part the focal length which I am not overly enamored using zooms in and it is a fairly large lens for 2x zoom factor (of course it goes to about 1:2.7 but I don't generally need to focus that closely and I have a 1:1 macro lens for that). Though the tiny Zuiko sounds like it might be up my alley as it is really small and light (and sharp)...though of course I'd probably prefer it to be 28-70 or 28-85 instead of 35-70.<br>

I do love my wide angle primes which is why I was thinking of picking up the 28 and 35/2.8 Zuiko primes (I have no 35mm lens right now, other then my 35-70 zoom which I don't count). The Zuiko 100/2.8 I feel would be a more useful backpacking/hiking lens for me then the Zuiko 135/3.5. The 135 is nice and compact and sharp, but it is a little long of a focal length for backpacking with the next shorter lens being 50mm (I am pretty sure I'd prefer 24/50/100 then 24/50/135).</p>

<p> I find zooms quite useful when hiking or backpacking, as long as you're toting a tripod. I have one of those 35-70 Tamrons, and have used it extensively, but prefer the smaller OM 35-70, and the longer 35-105 OM zoom as well. Both the 24's & 28's are eminently useful, that choice depends a lot on your personal style (I own several Zuikos in that range) and the space you're in.</p>

<p>I have a late model 28/3.5 Zuiko which I like. I don't know how much better you will find the 28/2.8 Zuiko apart from the extra speed. The 100/2.8 is a nice compact lens at a good price. My 35-70 Tamron needs work so I don't really know how good it is. I have a 35-70/2.8-3.8 Vivitar (28xxx...) in OM mount which works nicely. The 35/2.8 Zuiko is a lens some people on this forum like and others don't. Mine seemd OK. </p>

<p>If you don't need the f1.8 speed you might skip the 50 and go for a super light kit of; the 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, and 100mm f2.8 all f2.8 and 49mm filter size. My personal choice has been the 24 f2.8, 35 f2.8, 85 f2 and 200 f5, a really useful range and again all 49mm filter size. The trouble is that the 85mm f2 has gone through the roof price wise and would cost more than your whole budget. The 100 f2.8 can however still be found for a reasonable price. The 24 can also be a bit of a strain on the budget also but if you go for a good user grade they are not too high. Try KEH bargain grade.</p>

<p>There really isn't a whole lot of difference in FOV between a 28 and a 35. Personally, I really love the 35/2.8 - possibly my most used OM lens and the lens I would choose if I could only take one. If you already have a 50mm, the 28 <em>might</em> make better sense than a 35. If not, I would buy a 35 and consider a 24 rather than a 28. On the long end, the 100/2.8 is a great little lens and much better value than the 85/2.0. If I was heading out hiking with three primes, they would be a 24/35/100 or 24/50/100. OR 24/50macro/100 - what macro lens do you have? I'll add a 50/3.5 macro if I'm going for a trek - a great little lens, and what is gives up in speed it more than makes up for in versatility</p>

<p>I classify my lenses by use. My 24mm f2.8 is my landscape lens. I always use it around f8-11 to get pin sharp front-to-back. I simply set the focus to 3m. If I lost this lens I would happily do the same with my 28mm f3.5. I prefer the 24mm because it's a little more versatile (= wider). I can always crop if I need to but it never seems to be necessary. Around f8-11 I doubt you would notice the difference between the 28mm f2.8 and f3.5. The only other lens I carry backpacking is my 50mm f1.8. It's significantly different from the 24mm. With a 50mm, in the range 35-70mm you can usually step backwards or forwards to compose so for me a zoom or fixed lens in this range is unnecessary. My 85mm f2 is my portrait lens. You can blur the background while still interacting with your subject. Because I've got an 85mm lens, I would not consider a 100mm lens, it's too close. All these lenses I would use with 100 ASA film. Next up are my 135mm f3.5, 200mm f4 and 300mm f4.5. They all have 'reach' so I use them for safari's and the like (that is, not very often!) and always with 400 ASA film. With these long lenses, you have to keep the shutter speed up, even on a tripod. </p>

<p>when I'm hiking, I tend to take a 24mm f/2.8, 50/3.5 macro and 100/2.8.</p>

<p>I have the 24/2.8 and 28/2.8 and I like the 24mm better, it's a more useful focal length and a nicer lens in my opinion.</p>

<p>you will be very happy with either the 100/2.8 or 24/2.8 one of those would be my pick. The 100/2.8 is my most frequently used lens, perfect for portraits, street photography, landscape, nature pretty much use it for anything. I went from a Tamron 135/2.5 to the 100/2.8 and 100mm for me is a much more useful focal length, I always found the 135mm too long and I'd have to always step back.</p>

<p>I guess I should mention what I have<br>

Sigma 24mm2.8 (being sold), Zuiko 24/2.8, Sigma 28/1.8, Tamron 28/2.5 (to be sold to get a Zuiko 28/2.8 probably), Zuiko 50/1.4, Zuiko 50/1.8, Sigma 50/2.8 macro (1:1), Zuiko 85/2, Zuiko 135/3.5, Sigma 400/5.6 APO, Tamron 35-70/3.5 (probably to be sold for a Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.5), Sigma 28-70/2.8, Vivitar series 1 70-210/3.5, Sigma 70-210/2.8 APO<br>

For backpacking w/ my 85/2 I have found isn't quite long enough, but the 135/3.5 seems to be a bit to long most of the time, so that is why I am looking at the 100/2.8. I'd deffinitely take the Zuiko 24/2.8 for the wide end. I guess if/when I get a 35/2.8 I need to see if I'd prefer a 24/35/100 kit or 24/50/100 kit. Alternately if I really like the 35-70/3.5-4.5 I might do 24/35-70/100 kit. I do really love the 85/2 for a portrait lens though, especially indoors (the 85/2 is probably my favorite lens, though used less then my wide angle and standard lenses).<br>

I really love the 28mm focal length, but the Tamron lens just doesn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, it is quite sharp, but I think I just have a love affair with Zuiko lenses and the smaller size of the Zuiko 28/2.8 certainly wouldn't hurt anything.<br>

For my normal walk around bag I have a Lowepro Nova 2 AW and I put a Vivitar 70-210/3.5, Sigma 24/2.8, Tamron 28/2.5, Zuiko 50/1.4 and Tamron 35-70/3.5 in it. With getting the Zuiko 24/2.8 that'll replace the Sigma lens. Also I'd like to drop both Tamron lenses and either carry Zuiko 28 and 35/2.8 lenses or maybe one or the other (or still both) and a Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.5 lens.</p>

<p>I use the 135/3.5 for portraits of my son and some landscape work, but it is deffinitely not used as much as stuff around 100mm (which I use my zooms for) for landscape work. With an almost 2 year old being able to reach out is a good thing so that I have to worry about chasing him a little less to get his picture.<br>

For the macro, my Sigma 50/2.8 is really sharp and goes to 1:1, but it is a little big and heavy for wanting to carry it backpacking. I used to take my Sigma 24/2.8 which goes to 1:4. I think I'll probably get a 25mm extension tube to use with my Zuiko 50/1.4 (or if I carry a 35/2.8 with me instead, though I'll probably get a 12mm extension tube for a 35mm lens instead). I may look at a Zuiko 50/3.5 macro one of these days just for that flexibility and compact size.</p>

<p>For health reasons first double-check "I have the go ahead from my wife to blow a ton of money"!<br>

These are the two lenses I use most:<br>

<a href="http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/01A.html">ttp://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/01A.html</a><br>

I also use this for moderate macro.</p>

<p > <a href="http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/13A.html">http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/13A.html</a></p>

<p > </p>

<p >The 24mm end is very good. The other lens has better resolution beyond about 35mm. You need the hood for filters and they are 77mm! </p>

<p>I'm curious, Matthew. I would say that any picture taken with a 100mm lens can also be taken with an 85mm lens. If using the 85mm, you could lean forward or crop to get exactly the same picture but in most cases you will adapt your style to frame the image with the lens you've got. Be careful you don't end up with so many lenses you don't know which to choose! </p>

<p>"I have the go ahead from my wife to blow a ton of money on new (well, new to me) Zuiko glass! By blow a lot of money I mean maybe a couple of hundred at the most."</p>

<p>Matthew I'll chime in here..but just a heads up $200 is not alot of dough for ANY decent lens for any camera system, I don't care if it's Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Sony or in this case Olympus...ect. Also if you want OM Zuiko glass yes forget about new, you will have to get it used which is not a bad thing if it was well cared for.</p>

<p>You are right though, your Zuiko 85mm f2 is a fantastic portrait portrait lens... hold on to that one. Same with your Zuiko 24mm f2.8 a really nice WA. Those two lenses are keepers! In fact I have owned the OM Zuiko 100mm f2.8 you are considering to buy, its a fine portrait lens but your 85/2 is better IMO and AOV of the 85mm is just a few degrees difference really from the 100mm so I would just use the 85/2 you already have for portraits.</p>

<p>Seems like you are teetering between the OM Zuiko 28mm f2.8 and the OM Zuiko 100mm f2.8. Again you have a small budget and I don't know what you want to shoot exactly...people, landscapes? hmmm far too many variables here... need to get back to you on this....</p>

<p>How about the OM Zuiko 35-105mm f3.5 - f4.5 zoom lens? It's Zuiko glass, you have your WA and tele covered. It's not as wide as the 28mm but you do have 100mm AOV exactly. It's also inexpensive @ $115 at KEH right now. And with the change you can take the wife out to dinner! :)</p>

<p><a href="http://www.keh.com/Product-Details/1/OM070021882800/OM07/FE.aspx">http://www.keh.com/Product-Details/1/OM070021882800/OM07/FE.aspx</a></p>

<p>Or if you are like me you go for the exotic stuff like Angenieux, Zeiss, Kinoptik ect. I have owned many Zeiss lenses for Olympus OM for years and they are fantastic. The only catch is you have to order it from the UK or Europe as to make a long story short those lenses were banned in USA. Yes I said banned as in outlawed! How about a Carl Zeiss 35-70mm zoom f3.5-4.8 for Olympus OM? It's on Ebay and right now it's in your budget. Hope this helps!</p>

<p> <a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-OM-Carl-Zeiss-SUPER-35-70mm-Zoom-Wide-Angl-Lens_W0QQitemZ350296090924QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item518f46292c">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-OM-Carl-Zeiss-SUPER-35-70mm-Zoom-Wide-Angl-Lens_W0QQitemZ350296090924QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item518f46292c</a></p>

<p>"I have the go ahead from my wife to blow a ton of money on new (well, new to me) Zuiko glass! By blow a lot of money I mean maybe a couple of hundred at the most."</p>

<p>Matthew I'll chime in here..but just a heads up $200 is not alot of dough for ANY decent lens for any camera system, I don't care if it's Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Sony or in this case Olympus...ect. Also if you want OM Zuiko glass yes forget about new, you will have to get it used which is not a bad thing if it was well cared for.</p>

<p>You are right though, your Zuiko 85mm f2 is a fantastic portrait portrait lens... hold on to that one. Same with your Zuiko 24mm f2.8 a really nice WA. Those two lenses are keepers! In fact I have owned the OM Zuiko 100mm f2.8 you are considering to buy, its a fine portrait lens but your 85/2 is better IMO and AOV of the 85mm is just a few degrees difference really from the 100mm so I would just use the 85/2 you already have for portraits.</p>

<p>Seems like you are teetering between the OM Zuiko 28mm f2.8 and the OM Zuiko 100mm f2.8. Again you have a small budget and I don't know what you want to shoot exactly...people, landscapes? hmmm far too many variables here... need to get back to you on this....</p>

<p>How about the OM Zuiko 35-105mm f3.5 - f4.5 zoom lens? It's Zuiko glass, you have your WA and tele covered. It's not as wide as the 28mm but you do have 100mm AOV exactly. It's also inexpensive @ $115 at KEH right now. And with the change you can take the wife out to dinner! :)</p>

<p><a href="http://www.keh.com/Product-Details/1/OM070021882800/OM07/FE.aspx">http://www.keh.com/Product-Details/1/OM070021882800/OM07/FE.aspx</a></p>

<p>Or if you are like me you go for the exotic stuff like Angenieux, Zeiss, Kinoptik ect. I have owned many Zeiss lenses for Olympus OM for years and they are fantastic. The only catch is you have to order it from the UK or Europe as to make a long story short those lenses were banned in USA. Yes I said banned as in outlawed! How about a Carl Zeiss 35-70mm zoom f3.5-4.8 for Olympus OM? It's on Ebay and right now it's in your budget. Hope this helps!</p>

<p> <a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-OM-Carl-Zeiss-SUPER-35-70mm-Zoom-Wide-Angl-Lens_W0QQitemZ350296090924QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item518f46292c">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-OM-Carl-Zeiss-SUPER-35-70mm-Zoom-Wide-Angl-Lens_W0QQitemZ350296090924QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item518f46292c</a></p>

<div>00VONx-205721584.jpg.30e6cb4d9e44ec5545fc7b92a54f9b98.jpg</div>

<p>That Carl Zeiss zoom is most probably equivalent to the Cosina made (cheap) Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.8. I am guessing that the Zeiss name was licenced for a batch of these lenses to be sold on the british/european (?) market only, and the same lens with another moniker (Vivitar?) will have been sold in the US market. So nothing like "banned" as if you get a top secret underground deal... Just look to the last ebay picture which clearly shows the "under licence of" term. Similar Cosina lenses have been produced for Nikon (FE10, FM10), Ricoh (KR-5), Yashica/Contax (FX-3), Vivitar V4000, Rollei 35 mount for the corresponding Cosina made bodies. The £70 price tag is ridiculous. BTW, the serial number of that ebay lens indicates production in August 1986.</p>

<p>Hey Matthew so I think considering the focal range you need, the two zooms I mentioned Carl Zeiss 35-70mm and OM Zuiko 35-105mm zooms are your best option for the budget you have. The Olympus OM Zuiko 35-105mm f3.5-4.5 zoom is really not a bad lens for the price and I read great reviews for this lens. A interesting weblink on this lens is below. It also has 1:5 macro capabilities and DOF scale. Filter size is a common 55mm. All that and Zuiko glass!</p>

<p><a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/35105mm.htm">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/35105mm.htm</a></p>

<p>Konrad, regarding Carl Zeiss lens and history, I am well aware of the Carl Zeiss Jenazoom history. And I have actually owned and shot with two Carl Zeiss Jenazooms, same focal length 75-300mm, one was in Olympus OM mount and the other was in Canon EOS EF mount, and after using both lenses for film and digital I can say both were excellent lenses with high IQ, great color rendition and sharpness. The Zeiss Jenazoom glass was always multi-coated (MC). Certainly not cheap quality by any means. On a scale to 1-10 I would give these Japanese made Zeiss lenses a "8" so slightly better than the average zooms made at that time.</p>

<p>And yes all these lenses were banned from the USA. Not a single camera dealer was allowed to sell them in the USA at the time. Basically it had to do with Cold War era back in the 1980's and there was an embargo on many items from countries east of the Iron Curtain, countries like East Germany which is where the East Carl Zeiss was located. These lenses were called Carl Zeiss Jenazoom and they were licensed to the Sigma factory of Japan. Zeiss Jenazoom production was from mid 1980's to early 1990's. Again these lenses were all high quality and well designed supervised by Carl Zeiss. These lenses were available for purchase though other countries in western Europe like the UK, Canada and of course Japan.</p>

<p>In fact the link you provided also supports this. Here is quote from one of the forum members,<em> "These are what I call the "British" Carl Zeiss Jena lenses. The British importers at the time owned the Carl Zeiss Jena name for that market and was able to source lenses, mainly from Sigma, and sold them as Carl Zeiss Jenas, as they also represented Sigma, along with a number of other brands, in the UK.<br /><br />So the Carl Zeiss Jena name was NEVER sold to the Japanese, and they're certainly not knock-offs."</em></p>

<p>I included a Carl Zeiss Jenazoom brochure and manual of the Carl Zeiss Jenazoom 75-300mm lens I have used for Olympus OM.</p><div>00VPs0-206689584.jpg.dcc11ccdd38ae6c71394ed272f0e71b2.jpg</div>

<p>Matthew - I included a photo of the Carl Zeiss Jenazoom II 75-300mm lens 4.5-5.6 lens that I have used let me know if you want to see samples shot on film from my Olympus OM-3 film camera. I forgot to mention that there also exists a <strong>CZJ Jenazoom II in the focal length of 28-85mm f4-5 macro zoom lens in Olympus OM mount</strong>! Since you were looking for something in 28mm range this lens would be a good choice for you. Keep in mind all these lenses also came with MACRO some as close to 1:3 life size magnification!The only catch is these are hard to find even on Ebay, they turn up only once in a blue moon.</p>

<p>Again the Carl Zeiss Jenazooms lenses are seriously underrated zoom lenses, IMO these zoom lenses at the time were "above average" zoom lenses and a few were exceptional! Although Olympus OM Zuiko primes are legendary IMO most of the OM Zuikos zooms [ the exception being lenses like the OM Zuiko 35-85mm ED f2.8 zoom] were really just average. Then again zoom technology in the 1980's was fairly new. The Carl Zeiss Jenazoom line of lenses rivaled or matched most of the OM Zuiko zoom lenses and in some cases surpassed with exceptional IQ and a better zoom lens design. This is mainly do to Sigma of Japan who at the time had some of the state of the art zoom lenses including lenses with <strong>APO </strong>[ <strong>apochromatic lens]</strong> or sometimes renamed ED Extra Dispersion<strong> </strong>glass! One such lens was the Carl Zeiss Jenazoom Super ED MC IF Macro 75-300mm f4.5/5.6 AF Zoom lens a very late model made in early 1990's in AF (auto-focus) only in Canon EOS, Olympus OM (yes Olympus OM in AF!)and Minolta AF cameras. Only a handful of these lenses were made. This lens is nearly identical to the high quality, and long out of production SIGMA AF 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO!</p><div>00VQeY-207147584.jpg.23bc4bb9f43e49d9aebec270cbe48214.jpg</div>

<p>This week I bought a Carl Zeiss Jenazoom II 75-300mm lens 4.5-5.6 lens (OM mount) off eBay (#350297114573). I won't be using it for a while (film).<br>

I would appreciate any scans of brochure/manual, as these were not provided. I would also like to see what the results may be like. I don't have Olympus lenses in this range but have the Tamron 19AH 70-210 and the 300mm 2.8, the latter weighing 2.5kg</p>

<p>Harold that is so awesome! Congratulations on your new Carl Zeiss Jenazoom II 75-300mm 4.5-5.6 OM mount zoom lens! So few photographers here in the USA have used this lens, unfortunately that was due to embargo on East German Carl Zeiss in the 1980's. It was distributed mainly in the UK where they are easy to find, actually that's where I got mine in the UK on Ebay too! I mounted my CZJ 75-300mm 4.5-5.6 on my Olympus OM-3 camera and the results were beautiful. I shot on E-6 (chrome) film so I'll post a sample soon. </p>

<p>Harold you know this particular zoom lens has a macro 1:3 life size? Thats pretty rare for a zoom. It's also MC (multi-coated) so you will see green-blue -purple reflections in the glass. The lens has pretty good IQ, above average for zooms at the time, and it's macro is amazing, but you will need a tripod as you will need to extend the zoom to the 300mm focal length to reduce camera shake. Also I made a typo above, I actually owned the Series 1 version of the Carl Zeiss Jenazoom 75-300mm you see in the photo above. You actually have the latest version the Series 2 or Jenazoom II. You can tell by the "blue ring" around the top of the lens barrel. I do not know what the actual difference is but am curious to what the differences are. The only brochure I have is what you see above. I can rescan it so it's larger and you can read all the specifications of the zoom lens. BTW I found more brochures on the exact model you have the series 2 version, a thread on photo.net actually. The owner of the lens happen to have a very very rare brochure straight from Carl Zeiss Jenazoom of the UK. I have never seen anything like it. She did not scan it very large so you can't read the brochure, but you can see the photos well enough and this lists detail info of EVERY Zeiss Jenazoom focal length zoom lenses ever made for the Series 2 version. The also mention every camera mount including Olympus OM, Nikon, Canon ect. There is even info on the rare jenazoom primes, yes they made primes! They made a CZJ Jenazoom 24mm f2.8 ultra wide angle lens. Here is the thread below, very interesting reading.</p>

<p>VERY RARE Carl Zeiss Jenazoom lens brochure!<br>

<a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00QZPN">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00QZPN</a></p>

<p >Rob,</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks for your response:</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >"was distributed mainly in the UK where they are easy to find,"</p>

<p > </p>

<p >This is only the second one *( I think it was listed previously, a few months ago but did not reach the reserve) I have spotted in recent years. </p>

<p ><br />"shot on E-6 (chrome) film so I'll post a sample soon."</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I use E6, almost exclusively ISO 100 <br /><br />"you know this particular zoom lens has a macro 1:3 life size?"</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I’m surprised that more don’t have it! My Tamron SP 70-210s do either 1:2 or 1:2.66 .</p>

<p > </p>

<p >"You can tell by the "blue ring" around the top of the lens barrel." I confirm that.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I did a lot of hesitating, and research, over this purchase because of the chequered history of the Carl Zeiss Jena brand. The bases of the barrel has (in blue captitals) “lens made in Japan under licence from Veb Carl Zeiss Jena</p>

<p > </p>

<p >One small dislike: the zoom drifts when the lens is held vertically. Not a major problem as I shoot mostly straight ahead!</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks for the link. On my lens the red line goes to the 11, as on the 70-210 models.</p>

<p>Harold, here is a hi res scan of the only manual that came with the CZJ Jenazoom 75-300mm Series I zoom lens. It is a brief manual, basicially only 5 pages and 3 of those were just repeated in different languages. Yeah I should have said "easier to find in the UK". They are rare lenses no matter what country you try to look for them but in the USA they almost never appear in the marketplace even online and never in a camera dealer in USA. The UK, Europe and Canada are your best chances of finding these lenses.</p>

<p>What did you think about the link to that Zeiss Jenazoom brochure? Interesting how it shows the entire line of their zoom lenses.</p><div>00VRUM-207639784.thumb.jpg.927ee825ca34b8b1ae8d6fbed547dbe2.jpg</div>