Switching to digital: need your suggestions.

dallalb

<p>Looking at your current setup and your images and stated preference, I'd vote for the 5D2 as the best match for you. The IQ is excellent. It gives up some fps and slower AF to the 7D, but the full-frame and superior high-ISO performance will serve your better with your subjects.</p>

<p>I use both the 7D and the 5D2, with the 7D used for birds, wildlife and action photography and the 5D2 for scenics and about everything else.</p>

<p>Agreed - 5D Mark II all the way. I have the 5D2 and 17-40 and love them both. Welcome to the Full Frame, L-series family :-). <br>

PS - I also shoot film with a Canon 7NE. I would recommend keeping your film camera as a backup / alternative. I love switching back and forth or shooting film as a reference for my digital work.</p>

Wonderful work, Alberto. There is good reason why so many are recommending you get a 5D2. It would certainly allow you the flexibility you now enjoy with your current lens setup, not to mention the inherent ability of digital photography to change ISOs on the fly. Much as its build quality is often downplayed and berated on the wonderful internet, it is a finely built machine and will allow you plenty of creative freedom even in poorer weather. Just have a look at this thread: http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00VBrc

<p>I recently shifted to one after years of shooting film and then a stint with a crop-sensor dSLR. It's just not the same as a full frame like the 5D2 :) I kid you not, you will get amazing results even at ISO 3200 for example. Go for it!

<p>Did I already say I love your work? :)

<p>Alberto - You should know by now that your work is good enough to sell. This discussion should shift to one of "How will a digital work flow help me sell my work?" and "How do I find my market?". I am fortunate to sell my work in a city far removed from my subjects, to people that either will never visit Europe or came home void of images worth framing. I find your images technically superior to mine, truly finding art in your surroundings and would make room on my walls for any one of them. That said, I don't think you would sell in OKC. Sadly, missing a recognizable iconic image from the Old Country, most of my customers would pass. I sell more grainy, BW images if the Eiffel tower than any other subject. <br>

Who do you feel would be your market? Is there a large tourist trade in your area? I have seen, and even purchased, photos of Alaska in Alaska. You also need to ask yourself if you want to start looking at your work and wondering "will this sell?" or continue taking great photos. Good luck and I look forward to following your progress.</p>

<p>This may not change your decision, but...</p>

<p>* The 5D2 has no IQ advantage over the 7D at low to mid ISO. It only pulls ahead at ISOs you're not likely to use from a tripod (i.e. 1600 and higher).</p>

<p>* The 7D does have an IQ advantage over the original 5D at all ISOs. Considering features, age, use, etc., I would not recommend an original 5D unless you get a great deal on one.</p>

<p>* To get equal WA lens performance on a 5D2 you must spend considerably more than on a 7D. With a 7D you can use Tokina's corner-to-corner sharp 11-16. On a FF you would need the Canon 16-35 II to match. (The 17-40L doesn't have good corner performance on FF.)</p>

<p>I'm of the opinion that the standard "FF is for landscapes" reaction to these types of questions is wrong when looking at the 7D. IMHO there are two good reasons for choosing a 5D2: you regularly print large from high ISO (i.e. 16x24 from ISO 1600). Or you own and use lenses which really don't make sense on a crop body (i.e. T/S; fast, wide primes; focal lengths <16mm). Outside of those categories, the features and lower cost of the 7D make it the better buy. The 7D will easily handle the type of work that's in your portfolio, and produce large prints to match the 5D2.</p>

<p>That said, there's one more wrinkle in your situation: you're keeping your EOS 3. Some of the best lens options for the 7D (Tokina 11-16; Canon 17-55) won't even mount on your EOS 3. You may want to keep the same frame size so that you can use all lenses on both film and digital, and have those lenses behave the same exact way.</p>

<p>Thank you, Tom for your kind words and your interesting questions. I think you are right about selling photos and you are right thinking that taking shots for selling or taking shots for creating art from our feelings are two very different point of views. I live in Italy, in the large flat surrounding the Po river and there's no important tourist trade in this area, unless the stunning art of Mantova town... I try to convey the feelings I get from the simple landscapes and elements of my surroundings, so my subjects or my locations are often not so recognizable... But your comment demonstrates that someone can appreciate my work and could be a potential buyer... So, I thing I prefer this second approach.<br>

Daniel, thank you for your useful "out of chorus" suggestions: I will keep them in minds! </p>

<p>Hi Alberto,<br>

Just before going digital, I upgraded to the EOS 3 - great camera - and one which does not have a digital equivalent yet. So, as a bit of a warning, while the 5D Mark II is a good camera, as bodies go, you will be downgrading a bit. I have spent a couple of days with the Mark II and didn't find it a "wow" camera in terms of shooting experience. I like to work at street photography, and still think (subjective opinion here) the Eos 3 is better for that than the Mark II. And if you like the 45 point focussing system, you can't get that in any non EOS 1D type camera. <br>

The 5D Mark II is the best affordable Canon full frame out there - but I'd be aware that as a body, it is (IMHO) a downgrade from the EOS 3.</p>

<p>"Switching to digital"<br>

I was thinking about selling my 5D and going all film. hehe. But i'm keeping the 5D because it's handy for events, i mainly shoot fashion and portrait ( as a part time photographer ). Are you selling your supercoolscan ? <br>

I find film far more satisfying in terms of depth of colour and takes less ps work than digital for me. Anyway - You could get a decent second hand 5D and you'll have enough funds for all those lenses you would like. <br>

If you'd like to email me - <a href="mailto:andrew@andrewrmoore.com">andrew@andrewrmoore.com</a><br>

take care and good luck with your decision!</p>

<p>I had a 50d for about a year and went to the 5DMKII. I've never looked back. I like shooting full frame and there are so many pluses to the 5DMkII that few minuses (cost, slower frames per second in rapid shooting) are significantly outweighed. Both are great cameras but if you are used to shooting 35mm and can handle the cost, you will love the 5DMKII.</p>