How would you spend $80 to improve your photography?

mikemason

<p>You could purchase a Manfrotto base leveler that would allow level shots for stitching into panoramics. I have one and it works very very well. You place it between the tripod and the ball head.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554093-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_438_438_Compact_Levelling_Head.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554093-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_438_438_Compact_Levelling_Head.html</a></p>

<p>As an extra to the 80 for the annual parks pass, a backpacking tent and sleeping gear to go along with your annual parks pass, that way you can be in Banff for first light. Also Wiggett's book on Banff is highly recommended. Also start budgeting for snow tires, snow shoes and x-country skis for the off season. :)</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your suggestions.<br>

<br /> I decided to go with a monopod because my main lens doesn't have VR, and hiking with my tripod wasn't pleasant last time I tried it (well, it was probably hiking with a bunch of equipment that I didn't use that was the problem, but I'm blaming the tripod...). Most of the bloggers I read bang on and on about having good support so now I have no excuses.<br>

<br /> I did not know that I could use a step-down filter to put my 77mm filters onto a smaller lens, that's an excellent idea and I will keep an eye out for one. The 18-70 is my usual lens but I'm pretty sure the two primes (35 and 50) would be sharper if I were at their particular focal lengths.<br>

<br /> I also decided to join Photo.net, so I should have a subscriber icon above this post if all went well. I have uploaded a few photos to <a href="../photos/mikemason">my portfolio</a>. Nothing earth shattering but hopefully not too terrible either. Any comments appreciated!</p>

<ul>

<li>business cards</li>

<li>camera bag</li>

<li>books on my specific style of photography</li>

<li>shoot & process a handful of rolls of film, make wet prints</li>

<li>darkroom chemicals or a better tank/reels</li>

<li>8x10 or bigger prints to hang on the wall</li>

<li>hoods for any lenses I don't have hoods for</li>

</ul>