Hasselblad Leaf Shutter Frozen?

matthew_delphenich

<p>I recently purchased a pre-owned but great condition 501C with 80mm C T* lens. Unfortunately, now the leaf shutter seems to be frozen. Before this I have only used a 500C/M, so I'm not completely sure if I'm doing something wrong or if there's anything I can do to easily remedy this. The shutter opens properly when the body is cocked and closes when the shutter is depressed. However, the shutter never re-opens to make an exposure, and stays closed until the body is re-cocked. I've also tried this using the mirror lock-up. The mirror swings up, the leaf shutter closes, and the body blind opens all as they should, but when I press the shutter release, the leaf shutter does nothing but slightly twitch. Has anyone experienced something similar and/or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>I wouldn't mount an unreliable lens on another body unless I were prepared to ship the whole lot to Hasselblad along with a $500 check. It's easy enough to troubleshoot the lens (cock and discharge the shutter) off camera. If the gear train is shot, the repairs may exceed the value of a new lens, if you can find a gear train for a C lens. Main springs don't cost much, and a few are still around.</p>

<p>It could be the body too, or both.</p>

<p>A "frozen" leaf usually means a broken shutter. The prudent thing to do, as Edward and Q.G. suggest, is to have it repaired. It usually isn't that much. I had a broken LF lens repaired for $125 plus about $20 for parts at Advanced Camera Repair in Portland, Oregon. Worked like new when I got it back.</p>

<p>Thanks for all your help here. I brought the whole thing to Calumet to have it quickly looked at. Without dismantling anything, the expert's guess was that the lens had a broken or dislodged cocking spring. As per your advice, Edward, I was hesitant to mount the lens on any of their bodies, and unfortunately they had no lenses which I could test with my body.</p>