Casual Lense Question

martin_engineer

<p>Martin,<br>

Not that easy of a question to answer. . .but I'd go with the DA 35mm macro Ltd. The versitality, focal length, and optical quality cinch the case. It's small and light enough too. Having the macro capability rocks. It took me a while to adapt to shooting closeups at 35mm focal length after using macro lenses in the 60-125mm range, but it works quite well.</p>

<p>I've played with the DA 40 and it is wonderful. If I didn't have the DA 35, then that would be tops.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>I agree with ME on this. The only reason I've been able to resist the lure of the DA 35mm is because I have an FA 31mm and can't bring myself to let go of it or own both. Similarly, I'm tempted by the DA 70mm for my basketball shooting but, again, I have an FA 77mm and although its AF seems to slow for shooting hoops, I'm keeping that one too.</p>

<p>For me, if just one and digital only, it would be the most versatile, DA 21mm Ltd. The old favorite focal lengths for a general use prime lens on film bodies was either 28mm or 35mm, depending on individual differences. Wide angle, but not real wide. The DA 21mm equates to right in between, or about 32mm. Good for scenic use, small group shots, even larger group shots, and much more. Good for things like car shows too, as well as use within tighter quarters.</p>

<p>A great walk-around lens, especially on a small body.</p>

<p>Yep, the DA 35 is a good lens, and I happen to like the focal length and close-up capability... Means you can take a headshot of someone sitting beside/opposite you without having to back up... Handy indoors... Optically, it's contrasty and sharp wide open, but not a significant improvement over my copy of the MkII kit lens (at 35mm) when both are stopped down to f/5.6.</p>

<p>The worst thing about the the DA35 is the current asking price... I think I paid 350€ for mine not so long ago, and look at the price now:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.pixmania.com/fi/fi/1175868/art/pentax/objektiivi-smc-da-35mm-f.html">http://www.pixmania.com/fi/fi/1175868/art/pentax/objektiivi-smc-da-35mm-f.html</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>The one that I find most appealing at this point in time is the 35 Macro, followed by the 15 and the 21. The 40 is awesome and I love pancakes, but I'm not sure how useful the 60mm-equivalent focal length would be in general use.</p>

<p>Sadly it's a moot point for me, since I can't afford any of them.</p>

<p>I have the DA 21mm f/3.2 Ltd lens (and the FA 77mm ltd). I love both. As others have mentioned the DA21mm ltd is very versatile. Wider than DA40mm (or FA50mm), I have found it very helpful for street and landscape photography. It is hard for me to imagine using the 21mm for portrait shooting, however. I would go with a FA50mm (which I also have) for portrait shooting instead. (btw, the FA77mm ltd is truly beautiful portrait lens). <br>

As an aside, I've come to realize that each lens has its own "personality"... took me a while to really learn and appreciate the DA 21mm f/3.2. now, it's always on my k10D. I love it and love the form factor. Anyway, just my two cents as you think about which lens works best for your style of shooting.</p>

<p>

<p>While it's a challenge to pick just one of the DA Limiteds, as Dave Hollander touched on, even tougher is choosing between a DA Limited and an FA Limited. The DA 40 or the FA 43? The DA 70 or the FA 77? Then, once you convince yourself that you REALLY need to have them all, just try to explain it to your spouse.</p>

</p>

<p>Thanks for the great responses. The 35mm macro seems to be a winner among this crowd.<br>

But don't you guys find it weird having the front element so close to the subject when shooting macro?<br>

I agree with what David said about all lenses having their own personality, and I think that it's hard to choose a favorite with the DA Limiteds. It's like trying to choose only one person among a group of friends. I'd settle for the one who buys me the most beer... I guess that translates into the lens that gets you the most good shots. ( based on subject and style of shooting )</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Martin, </p>

<p>You asked about the front element being very close with the DA35. The really nice thing about the DA35 is that it makes a great general purpose lens that happens to focus really close too. I guess if I were choosing it strictly as a macro I might want something longer, but as an all-purpose lens it's brilliant. These are probably not the most artistic shots, but here is a <a href="http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/San-Diego/Balboa-Park-with-DA35-Macro/">link</a> to a gallery all shot with the DA 35. Here is another <a href="http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/San-Diego/Old-Town-Dec-27-2009/">gallery</a> that I shot just today. Again, nothing special but you can get a feel for how the lens can handle lots of variety. One thing some people mention is that the DA40 focuses a lot faster than the DA35. In actual practice, especially if you get in the habit of using your hand to manually reset the lens to infinity after taking a close-up shot, it's hard to tell a difference. The quick shift focus (or whatever it is called) makes that really easy to manage. Likewise, if the lens is set at infinity and you're leaning in to get a close up just turn the ring with your hand a bit to get it started. </p>

<p>The DA40 is a good choice too, it is a lot smaller than the DA35. Here is a <a href="http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/Photography/K2000Test/">link</a> to a gallery all shot with the DA40 on a K2000. It's my version of a compact camera when I don't want to carry the much heavier K20D and multiple lenses. There is a wide variety of shots in that gallery, as I was trying to see if the one lens worked for me, especially since it is a bit longer than I would have chosen otherwise. My conclusion is that the small inconvenience of the longish focal length (for a one-lens outfit) is more than offset by the incredibly small size of the lens.</p>

<p>Finally, just to make your decision even harder, someone mentioned the DA21, and I have to agree it is a pretty versatile lens. Here is a <a href="http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/San-Diego/Old-Town-Pentax-21mm/">link</a> to a gallery of shots all taken with the DA21 right after I got it.</p>

<p>Face it, you may as well just buy them all, you will eventually anyway. In the meantime, if I had to choose one it would be the DA35.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>R.T. - I recently got the DA15, it's a really nice lens. My reason for not suggesting it was only because the question was "if you could have just one" and, for me at least, I would want a tighter field of view if it was to be my only one of the bunch. It's all kind of subjective though. I took the question to mean something like "if you were only going to carry one around, which would it be?". </p>

<p>Did I mention that the DA15 is a really nice lens?</p>

<p>This is an interesting topic and I guess it speaks to differences in photography styles and subject preferences. A couple of years ago I collected the three FA limited's and thought I was "done". Then ran across a fellow leaving Pentax and bought his collection of all the four DA limiteds and a FA50mm for an embarrassing low price. So other than the newer 15mm I own all of them. And while several of the FA and DA's are very similar they are unique enough with individual strengths that I find it difficult to choose and have not brought myself to part with any yet, though I really do need to thin my lens collection.</p>

<p>Between the DA 21, 35, 40, 70 and FA 31, 43, 77. My most used lenses are first the DA 35mm for it's flexibility of macro, near normal focal length and wonderful edge to edge sharpness. My second most used one would be the FA77 for it's superior portrait/bokeh rendering for head shot and bust work. Then the 31mm for it's bokeh, true color 3D qualities, but it is rather flare prone. The FA43mm is next for faster general shooting, occasional portrait and lower light conditions. Followed very closely by the DA70mm for street shooting with excellent edge to edge sharpness. Next would be the 21mm because it's so small it usual has a place in my bag and is great for landscape and general shooting, but it's noticeable barrel distortion annoys the heck out of me if there are architectural or strong linear elements in the composition, so usually I'll pull out a zoom for this range. And dead last for me would be the DA40mm which is a very cute, novel and unique lens, but optically I find uninteresting and I usually have either my Tamron 28-75 or DA16-50 which I feel are just as good as the prime at 40mm.</p>

<p>I have the FA 35mm, a fine lens. Similar on a DSLR to a 50mm view on a film body. As Roger says, the difference of opinion is due to various shooting styles and needs. During film years I drifted somewhat away from using a 50mm lens to using a 40mm or a 28mm more often instead for getting more into the frame. But that's just me. So naturally I took to the 21mm Ltd. But yes, I would not often put it to use for shots involving lots of buildings or shots of archetectural nature. I do have a low-distortion Sigma 24mm f/1.8 which is good for that. Despite the price, it certainly is hard to pick just one Limited. Their compact design makes it so much easier to carry more than one. </p>