D70s vs D40 vs Pentax K100D Super for first camera

billy_cormier

<p>I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the wealth of information posted here on the site. I am looking to purchase my first DSLR camera, and thus invest into a system of cameras and accessories. Because of budget constraints, I will be buying used equipment - likely from KEH due to the high praise they receive. After reading a number of reviews on the different cameras, I have narrowed my focus to the following those listed above. I would like other's opinions or suggestions on the following.<br>

D70s (probably with 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR lenses, possibly a 50mm 1.8 as well):<br>

Pros:<br>

1) Dual control wheels<br>

2) In body focus motor<br>

3) The body size is a good size match to my hands.<br>

4) Used, cheaper, lenses are available for use with the in body motor<br>

Cons:<br>

1) Older Camera - bodies might be closer to failing due to age?<br>

2) Camera body is the more expensive of the options</p>

<p>D40 (with 18-55, 55-200 VR, and eventually 35mm 1.8)<br>

1) Receives good ratings for general use, though only 6.1 MP<br>

2) Cheaper of the Nikon options - always good<br>

1) Body is a little small for my hands, though adjusting to it wouldn't be a problem.<br>

2) Only one control dial. I do like to experiment with Manual control<br>

3) Lacks an in body focus motor<br>

4) AF-S lenses generally cost more, which will limit expansion of the system.</p>

<p>K100d Super (18-55, 50-200, cheap prime if I can find one)<br>

1) Good size and feel in my hands.<br>

2) In body focus motor<br>

3) SR built into the body<br>

4) Camera and starter lenses are cheaper.<br>

5) Uses AA batteries.<br>

1) Lens selection might be more limited - not sure on this as I just started looking at the Pentax Line of cameras.</p>

<p>The camera will be for multipurpose photography - mainly family, kids, some portraiture, and walk around. As I will be moving to Africa next year, I would also like the ability to obtain some telephoto and WA lenses as well.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for the advice.</p>

<p>Billy, the camera you pick won't be as important as what you bring to it, IMO. Any of those cameras will probably be fine and you'll get great images. I just moved my D70 to backup status, but I've got 5 years and 16K frames on it with total satisfaction. The advantage of the 70 over the 40 is using older (non-G) lenses--widely available used. They're both 6mp, I think. My vote would be the D70, because of the lens issue--but ANY camera you pick will probably give you great images, as long as you put in a little time and energy in learning! :-) </p>

<p>Have you used a Nikon or Pentax SLR before? The most important "feature" is how the camera handles in actual use. Are the menus and controls laid out in a manner that is quick and logical to you? Does the camera react to your changes the way you think it should? You mention the models having, "a good fit for your hands"--how do you know that? Did you hold actual cameras in person? A tape measure and spec sheet is no substitute for testing it in your hands.</p>

<p>Handling is highly individual criteria and cannot be fully evaluated from reviews online. Though you could buy all the bodies mentioned and return the "losers" after using all of them for a while (mind the return period!). This may be your best option if you can't find samples locally to try out.</p>

<p>Anyway, I don't think very much of the AF-S drawback of the D40 and similar bodies, especially if building a system from scratch. Most of Nikon's consumer and pro glass has it anyway as a matter of fact. Nikon is aware the entry level cameras lack the body motor--they made them! It's mostly a concern for the older lenses, particularly primes. Zooms are probably going to be your workhorse lenses anyway.</p>

<p>Billy the lens selection for the pentax is any k mount lens made or with a cheep adaptor any screw mount lens in m49 ithink it is mount but from what i have seen the price on a k100d is in the same range as a k10d much newer and more capable and both are normaly within $100 of a new kx so given that size is a conseren look at the kx for pentax. The d70 and d40 are verey good but old tech like the k100d k10d is newer and kx gets a lot of raves right now. but any pentax dslr uses any kmount lens. I have found kmount in thrift stors for as little as $2.00 and as much as $30.00 my mf k mounts came witha zx50 af film camera i got the whole thing for $50.00 the zx a 35-70 af zoom a 50f2 a70-210 a doubler and case. it all works fine on my k10d. but you must rember non af lens do not auto focus no any body the built in sr wors as does the meter and focus conformation.</p>

<p>If this is your first DSLR, or your first camera for that matter, choose the one with which you are most comfortable. The camera is not nearly as important as the glass you mount on it. The old saying, back before there was even any such thing as digital, was don't spend your all your money on the camera, but rather on the lenses you will use to make photos.</p>

<p>Digital cameras are like computers. Unlike film cameras, which are pretty much timeless, technology makes digital cameras almost obsolete the instant you take them out of the box. It is just a personal opinion of course, your mileage may vary, but I think this whole mega-pixel race has gotten completely out of hand. It is not the number of megapixels you have, but the person behind the camera, that is the most important part of the equation. In addition to my D700, which I got only for the reason that I can use all my old AIS Nikkors at their stated focal lengths, I still have one of those "ancient" Coolpix 5700 antiques with a "paltry" 5MP CCD. And you know what? I have taken photos with it that enlarge to beautifully sharp and saturated 11 x 14 prints, ones that hang in my house next to stuff taken with my Hasselblad.</p>

<p>Thank you for the advice so far. I have indeed handled the cameras mentioned, hence the reason I could make those statements. That is also the reason the Canon line is not mentioned - they don't work well with my hands. I've handled the offerings from the major brands and the menu systems are all relatively easy for me to utilize. Also, I would like to expand my lenses to include a collection of f1.4/f1.8/f2 primes (preferably with autofocus) in the future after finding the focal lengths I like. Who, Nikon or Pentax, would have the a wider selection of good quality, lower priced lenses?</p>

<p>Thanks again for all the help,<br>

Billy</p>

<p>Billy, I don't know for sure about Pentax lenses--I switched from K-mount manual focus to Nikon 14 years ago. But the reason I suggested the D70 over the D40 is that there are so many used Nikon AF (and MF) lenses available. Two of the three lenses I use the most with my Nikon dSLR are the 50mm and 85mm f/1.8 lenses, both of which I bought for my film Nikons years ago. I've even used manual-focus Nikon lenses with the D70, though they don't meter. I've been seeing used D70 bodies for sale here for $250-$300, which seems like a good price to me. Though you might be better off getting one from B&H or KEH or Adorama, so it is guaranteed to be in good working order. Back to the original question, I don't know if there are more for Pentax or Nikon, but there are LOTS of lenses available for the D70, used and new. Good luck with your decision! </p>

<p>I agree with your concerns about the Pentax lens lineup. My old film camera was a Pentax and I found the zoom sellection at the time to be a little limited. I wish all DSLRs were compatable with AA batteries. </p>

<p>One difference between lens IS in body IS is that you can see the IS working when you are using a lens IS system. On a body IS system you really have no idea if IS is working until after you have taken the shot. Also since you can see the image stabilize on the lens IS system. This can help in framing and composition when using a telephoto lens. A body IS system doesn't help composition or framing with telephoto lenses. However you do generally pay more for lenses with IS.</p>