Nikon DSLR's: which sensors?

b._p.

<p>No time for fact checking this morning, but...<br>

As far as I can recall since the D1-series era, only the LBCAST sensor used in the D2H and D2Hs has been distinguished from Sony fabbed sensors used in other Nikon dSLRs. And it's never been clear to me whether the LBCAST was actually manufactured by Nikon or built to Nikon specs by another manufacturer.</p>

<p>No idea about the Nikon dSLRs before the D1 or Nikon P&S digicams. Some early dSLRs in which Nikon was involved were joint projects with Kodak, Fuji, possibly others.</p>

<p>Nikon does not fully disclose who makes its sensors. As far as I know, Nikon designes their own sensors for the D2H/D2HS and the 12MP D3. The sensor for the D3 is also used on the D700 and the D3S uses an improved version. It is unclear exactly who manufactures those sensors based on Nikon's design.</p>

<p>However, the D3X seems to use a similar 24MP sensor as Sony's A900 so that it apparently uses a Sony sensor.</p>

<p>Pretty much all other Nikon DSLRs use Sony sensors. Again, this may not be 100% accurate as Nikon does not always disclose all such information.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"So it seems odd that Sony makes good sensors for Nikon and keep the bad ones..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They wouldn't.<br>

Does DxOMark test the sensor itself or the image produced by the camera into which the sensor is incorporated? If the latter, then the same sensor could be expected to deliver somewhat different results depending on how the raw image is handled by the camera.</p>

<p> </p>