In need of purchasing Advice for indoor photography

lowfatgraphics

<p >Hey,</p>

<p >I'm in need of help/advice on a recent purchase. I have been using my 40d on and off through out the year (not nearly as much as I want too), I have 24-70mm f 2.8L and the 50mm 1.8 lens. After setting my new goals for 2009, I tried to figure out why I don't shoot to very often. I came to realize because it isn’t “ convenient” for me. I have to go outside or try to set things up. Which I don't mind, but I don't do it often. I’m no way a Photographer; I’m a graphic designer. I have a strong interest in anything creative, And I would like to use my own photo's in my work. So I’ve decided I want to practice everyday at least for an hour. But my lens are to long for me to shoot or practice indoors. My rooms are 10’x11’, with not much light. And sometime’s I want to go to the bars or events in NYC and bring my 40d camera and 24-70, is just to heavy and people act weird when it’s in their face. The 50mm lens is great outside; but doesn’t work for me in my small indoors room. It becomes a short Telephoto.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > So I’m thinking of going in a few directions:</p>

<p >Either getting one of this lens, 28mm 1.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4 or the 35mm f2.</p>

<p >This would give me a “ normal” lens that’s lightweight I can practice with.</p>

<p >All these lens have their plus and minus from the research I collected over the week.</p>

<p >28mm 1.8, Has mixed reviews on IQ, suffers a lot from CA and falls a bit short of the 50mm mark</p>

<p >Sigma 30mm 1.4, would be great but its only for crop senors, what if one day I upgrade to a full frame, never know. Also I hear they're are a lot of bad copies out there, I'm not trained enough to really spot a bad lens, would suck when I get better and I realize I have a bad copy, after they're 3yr warranty is up. </p>

<p >35mm f2, its a good price, old motor I hear, but I hear it takes great pictures.</p>

<p >A friend recommended I just get the new G11 canon; I can shoot in doors and take it out with me. I don’t know if the lens is fast enough for me to practice indoors? Its f2.8-4.5; so it’s not a fixed Aperture like the above prime lens.</p>

<p >I’m very confused of which route to go, I want to stay within the $500 range.</p>

<p >Any advice would be a great.</p>

<p >Thank you in advance and Happy holidays to everyone.</p>

<p >Amir</p>

<p >P.S.: Sorry for all that writing.</p>

<p>The sigma seems to be the answer.<br>

Now for the what if.. You go to full frame and it is no longer of use to you, but since crop cameras aren't going anywhere so selling such a lens shouldn't/wouldn't be a problem IMO.<br>

I have a couple of friends with the G10 and they love it, so this might also be a possible route to go with the G11.<br>

What I would do is get the sigma, can't beat a prime and at 1.4 its fast..</p>

<p>Amir,</p>

<p>It really sounds like you’re looking for a P&S, and the G11 is probably as good as any.

Pair it with the cheapest hotshoe-mounted flash you can find with a swivel head (it won’t have a

Canon logo printed on it) and you won’t have to worry about how much light you have —

just where to aim the flash head. Should keep you well under your $500 limit, too. Heck, you could even add $25 Cactus wireless flash transmitter to move the flash off the camera for your studio work.</p>

<p>There are other excellent P&S cameras out there; give them some consideration as well.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Given your interest in being creative and wanting to shoot indoors, I would not suggest you buy new lenses or cameras...buy LIGHTS! Two or three self-contained studio strobes with modeling lights, light stands, and a couple of umbrellas will get you started on a whole new world of indoor photography. A couple of extra light stands and a 6' x 12' piece of seamless paper in white or light grey is all you need to open up a whole new field of table-top/still-life photography and the same background can be used for portraits, even in a 10' x 11' room (though I'll admit its gonna be tight!). You can do alot of work hand-held, but a good tripod will be wanted soon.</p>

<p>There are lots of good books on lighting that would get you started.</p>

<p>@Peter: Yeah, I'm just questioning the price, also the risk of getting a bad copy, ugh...But yeah it is a tempting fast lens.</p>

<p>@Ben: I have the 580 ex 2 and a wireless system from Alien bees. hmm G11 does seem like the route to go. I've seen some amazing pictures from it.</p>

<p>@vick, Steve:I want to learn photography like i learned graphic design, learning to see and a lot of practice. I don't want to skip lights and go into studio lighting yet, because I feel I'm still not there yet. It's been less then a year of me learning to use to my camera technically, now I want to spend alot of time practicing and seeing.</p>

<p>I'll continue researching, if any members come up with ideas, please advise. Thank you</p>