F3HP been in storage for 6 years, should I get it serviced ?

jez_emin

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I've never been in this situation before which is why it'd be interesting to hear what others think I should do.</p>

<p>I had a Nikon F3HP in storage for 6 years and got it out today for the simple reason that I am doing a photography course which stipulates a film camera is to be used (else I'd use my digital).</p>

<p>This camera is in brand new mint condition and I bought it new in 1987. </p>

<p>I'd say it's had no more than 40 rolls of film through it. I'm wondering, should I have it serviced before attempting to use it ??</p>

<p>I've tripped the shutter a good few times and all seems well.</p>

<p>If I were to just use it straight with no servicing, could I damage it in any way do you think ??</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>If it ain't broke, don't fix it</p>

</blockquote>

<p>of course that depends on anyones definition of "broke"</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>This camera is in <strong>brand new mint condition</strong> and I bought it new in 1987.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>which more often than not indeed translates into hardly ever used which is never good news for any camera. That to me would be the best of reasons to have it fully serviced. Aperture and especially shutter will be in dire need of that. Also I would make sure that certainly shutter times would be re-adjusted to specs on a optical bank. It's a camera that could last you a lifetime if you take care of it.</p>

<p>One of my camera's is a Pentax LX (which I preferred over yours despite being a dedicated Nikon user). The above is what I did while twice a year I still expose test negatives and check them with a calibrated densitometer. Of course I use that camera often enough but the exposure times are still spot-on. It's what I do with all my manual gear. It pays off as far as I'm concerned. And all of this despite anything but a gearhead, but I like my tools (because that's what they are) to be in prime condition.</p>

<p>I'd agree with the recommendation to run a roll through it. A few months ago I bought a 1983 F3 from the original owner which also looked like it have never had more than a few dozen rolls through it. When I ran my first roll I got a number of frames that were darker on one side, like maybe one of the shutter curtains was dragging a little. Before putting a second roll in I exercised the shutter a few hundred times, and the second roll came out fine. Hopefully it will stay that way with casual use.</p>

<p>I'd say shoot a test roll of tri-X and see how it comes out. If the photos are fine, I'd leave well enough alone.<br>

I bought 4 F3HPs on eBay 3 years ago... all built in the early 1980s... and 3 were in outstanding condition. I had no idea how much usage they had seen, but it didn't seem like much. One eventually had some metering problems (underexposing), so I got that problem taken care of at that time. The others are still going strong with no need for a CLA.</p>

<p>I still own the FE I bought back in 1978, the very year it was introduced and a couple of years before the F3 was introduced. Early on I used the FE quite a bit but I probably haven't put a single roll through it in the last 20 years. Occasionlly I take it out and try the shutter. As far as I can tell it is still working fine, but obviously I don't know for sure unless I put a test roll through it.</p>

<p>It looks like the OP merely needs to shoot film for one class. If so, I really see no point to automatically send the F3 in for CLA. To me that is just a waste of money. As I said earlier, shoot a test roll of film and try out different shutter speeds first. If it is not quite working, then decide what to do.</p>

<p>Back in 1997/1998 when I upgraded from the F4 to the F5, I sent the F4 to Nikon for CLA as I was planning to use the F4 as my backup. It turned out that once I got used to the main/sub-command dials on the F5, I didn't want to use the F4 any more. Worse yet, after the CLA, the F4 started to act up; first the flash sync stopped working and a couple of years later, the entire camera failed, most likely due to electronic issues. And I hardly used the F4 anyway. The $200+ I spent on the F4 CLA was probably one of the worst $200 I spent in my life.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your responses.</p>

<p>Now I'm back from the storage place, I've checked the camera over carefully. I put a brand new battery in it and I went through each shutter setting tripping the shutter at least 10 times for each shutter speed. Everything sounds correct and the camera feels super tight.</p>

<p>Yes, I will be keeping this camera for a lifetime as it was a camera I treated myself to after I graduated.</p>

<p>I also have a mint F2AS in black with a mint DS-22 Aperture Priority unit, and a mint-- (or exc+++) MD1-MB2 (can't remember the codes to be honest, but it was the top of the line F2 5fps drive), but I am going to be selling that soon to fund a Hasselblad purchase. </p>

<p>Do you think I'd be better off selling the F2AS combo fully serviced or just sell it as is ?? My thoughts are to just sell it as is - not for financial reasons but to let the new owner decide to service it or not and at which service center.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jez, I believe I said one class, not one roll.</p>

<p>Now, if you re-develop your interest in film photography and will use the F3 more often, you might want a CLA.</p>

<p>Why don't you shoot one test roll first. If it is working fine, wait a bit longer and see how much you'll use it in the longer run ....</p>

<p>Depends on how much you value the camera. You said you bought it new in 1987, so it is now 22 years old. If it has sat without the shutter being exercised for 6 years, it's a good idea to exercise the shutter (go up and down each speed a couple times). And lubricants dry up in 22 years, so the film advance mechanism will experience more wear if you use it without having it serviced. I would have it overhauled. It can only preserve the camera, if done by a professional that has a good knowledge of the F3HP. Since there are no functional issues the overhaul doesn't have to go as far as splitting the body, but it would be well worth it to have it serviced in my opinion. I had an F3HP for a year and enjoyed every roll of film I shot with it. It is a classic and a wonder to hold and look at. I feel it is the most "Leica" like Nikon. A work of beauty. If yours is mint, have it serviced and know the money you spent is only going to increase the lifespan of the camera.</p>

<p>I have two of them. Both of them purchased new in the early 80's. I used them to make my living until I started to shoot digital. When I used them every day they went in for a CLA once a year. Never had any problem with them and they both still function flawlesly. To bad I do not take them out and use them much any more.<br>

If it was mine and had sat for 6 years I would have it CLA'd with out a second thought.</p>

<p>

<p>Jez,</p>

<p>Just sell the F2AS as is. My experience is that you never get your CLA money back by servicing a camera you are going to sell. If the camera has a problem, just point that out to the prospective buyer. Most buyers interested in your F2AS will probably have a preferred person or place to service the camera anyway, like <a href="http://soverf2repair.webs.com/">Sover Wong</a>, my favorite.</p>

</p>

<p>Note that the higher end of the shutter speeds can drift on older F3s. I brought my F3 (purchased by me in the late 80s) to Nikon here in Shinjuku earlier this year for a CLA, they told me that the shutter speeds above 400 were not accurate. I had them adjust that (I think it was around $100 or so.)</p>

<p>Man this thread makes me miss my F3HP...and they are going up in price (the good ones) on the auction site too...darn I wish I'd kept mine now. Like a classic car, these classic Nikon manual focus professional bodies are going to hold their value. You can get an F100 for $150 every day on ebay, but nice F3 bodies are $300 and up. Weird.</p>

<p>Jez,<br>

If it were me, I would hold on tight to that F2AS with the MD-2/MB1. There is no finer mechanical camera on the planet. I have three of them, dated between 1973 and 1978 with motors of the same vintage and I will never give them up. Although I love my Hasselblad, there are times what 35mm just makes more sense.</p>

<p>If you are bound and determined to sell the F2, drop me a line!!!!</p>

<p>Hi Scott,</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice, but I need the money as I wish to purchase a Hasselblad.</p>

<p>So it's far better that it goes to someone who'll make more use of it.</p>

<p>The F3HP I'll definitely be using - the F2AS should really be in a collection.</p>

<p>Hasselblad's are nice cameras, but be prepared to shell out big bucks for servicing if you buy a second hand one. I bought one for $650 (500C/M with 80mm and 120 back) and had to spend more than that on servicing! They are brilliant cameras when working, but need service often to stay in adjustment. Would recommend buying a copy of Ernst Wildi's "The Hasselblad Manual" for system information. The only way I would shoot medium format again is if I had a good film scanner, which I do not and don't plan to buy as I can't afford one.</p>