What lenses to take on a trip?

rmeskill

<p>I'm heading to Europe for a 3-week backpacking trip in February. I want to bring along my Hassy (503CXI), but can't decide what lenses to bring. I own the 50, 80, & 150 and generally I shoot with just the 50 and 150. In Europe I'll be doing mostly outdoor scenes and city streets, with the occasional indoor shot. Last time I went I took my Mamiya C330 and shot mostly 100ISO, so I doubt I'll need the extra stop the 80/2.8 gives me. But I'm really torn-do I take all three and just go out with the 50 and the 150, do I leave the 80 at home entirely, or do I figure that, because I'll be doing mostly outdoor, environmental/cityscape work I won't need the 150 at all and leave that at home? The glass on the 80 is much lighter than the 150, but I don't really want to leave behind that flexibility, it's just a matter of weight since I'll be carrying everything on my back. I'm bringing my Manfrotto 190XDB, too, (probably plus a small Minolta 35mm setup), so weight is certainly becoming an issue...</p>

<p>Backpacking in Europe...you'd miss the 50 for shure. Probably miss the 150 also. And the 80...yup - you'd miss that one too. But for my style of shooting, while the 80 is indeed a great lens for lots of urban stuff and just walking around - when I'm dealing with landscapes and vistas my priorities would equal the above: with the 50 as most important, the 150 next, then the 80. ...but you'd better bring all three!</p>

<p>Once you start "thnking" in medium format, you'll find that a "normal" 80mm lens is really quite useful, expecially for people and landscapes. It shouldn't be much of a strain to carry all three. With 35mm, I tend to shoot "long" for landscapes, but medium format can take twice as much enlargement (or cropping).</p>

<p>Ryan, I've traveled all over the world often carrying multiple lenses. The extra weight often made me miserable and I eventually learned that there was one lens(usually the nornal focal length ) that I used most of the time. Moreover changing lenses and carrying extra filters and hoods is not fun when you are on the go. If you are not a pro on assignment take the 80mm 2.8 and enjoy your trip. You'll come home with some great shots and your back will still be in one piece. Have a wonderful trip</p>

<p>Echoing Robert Rene's advice, my first trip to Europe (and Scandinavia) was with one MF, an old Bronica S2A with one lens, the standard 75mm. The thing I wished I had most was an extra film magazine, so that I could choose freely between B&W and colour. But as far as another lens was concerned, at the time I was more focused on how to best utilise what I had, and just being resourceful with it. Having returned and looked over the body of work, I do recall reflecting on how a wider lens would have been useful, especially in tight spots down narrow streets. For final printing, the 75mm Nikkor was good enough to permit tight crops of details during enlargement without loss.<br /> I have long since replace the Bronica with a Hasselblad, and know the <strong>80mm Planar</strong> to be a <strong>superb lens</strong> . I would most definitely <strong>take it as first choice</strong> , then add the 50mm.<br /> Would I take the 150mm? Probably no, and would also leave the Minolta behind. I have found on subsequent travels, that carrying multiple formats does not result in a better final result. In stead one is deciding "Which format?" ... "Which camera?" ... "Which lens?" do this ... do that. My best travel folios ever have been when I have limited the equipment burden.<br /> >> So ... after some deliberation, my decision would be: 80 and 50 and as many backs as you have. And a lightweight tripod if you <em>must</em> , just for some broad urban landscapes or special interiors. But keep the camera accessible in a second, small shoulder bag slung in front. Having a magazine loaded with faster film provides for more spontaneous shooting that fiddling around with a tripod. With 400/800 asa film, and f2.8, you can record moments in a cafe or railway carriage quite well hand-held.<br /> Above all else, enjoy yourself. The more gear you carry, the more stressed you will be about making sure you use it all, if for nothing else other than to justify the burden.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your responses! I think the suggestion to drop the Minolta's a good one, and since I'll be losing that and a couple lenses I think I'll take everything and just take the 50 & 80 when I'm going shooting and leave the 150 back unless I have a specific thought in mind for it. Now I'm trying to figure out whether to take the tripod... I would like to take some night shots while I'm there, and f2.8/4 just isn't going to cut it on those handheld, but I'm trying to figure out if the extra bulk is worth the few shots I might get from it. I've never taken a tripod on a trip before, and I'm unlikely to carry it around during the day, saving it for just night/twilight shots that I've thought through ahead of time...</p>

<p>Tripod - one that packs short. As it is not for general use, you could get away with a lighter one than usual. A <strong><a href="../medium-format-photography-forum/00RqVX">Quick Coupling adapter</a> </strong> will facilitate speedy setup, in fact I never take a tripod without one now. Still, a tripod of good build is important. Trying to level a camera with a trashy tripod head is not something you need to have spoil the exercise.<br>

But yes, with night shots on the agenda, take a tripod. I would say no if it were a pondering "Will I or won't I have a use for it." idea, but you <em>do</em> have a plan. And yep, it is a better weight allocation than carrying the Minolta. You will be better equipped with the primary outfit.<br>

Use of the camera's pre-release function, and a cable release will take care of most camera shake concerns. The only other being from a strong breeze.</p>

<p>Sounding good. ;-)</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Update from the field: I decided to take just the Hasselblad and the 50 & 150 lenses. Left the 80 and the Minolta at home and haven't regretted it one bit. The 150 has actually been my primary lens out here, though I probably could have done roughly as well with the 80 if I had to. Though the 50 has been useful in its own right, I've found far more use in the 150. The tripod may have been a mistake-I've taken a few night shots, but not enough to justify the extra weight, but perhaps that's just because I've been enjoying myself far too much in the evenings ;) Thanks all for the advice, though, it's been a great trip so far-already shot through ~30 rolls of film in ~3 weeks.</p>