Help please. My 20D quick dial (the one by the shutter) only increments upwards...even when I turn it to the left.

art_arkin

<p>Hello,<br>

My 20D has served me well but sadly a fault appeared recently. I normally shoot all manual and therefore depend on the small quick dial by the shutter for setting exposure time. The fault is this dial will only increment upwards regardless of whether I turn it left or right.<br>

In other words the exposure time shoots up to 1/8000 and stays there until I perform a full camera reset. I'm unable to select speeds below 1/60th in manual mode for I can only increase values, not the opposite. <br>

I'm guessing this is a mechanical fault of some description in either the quick dial mechanism or related cabling. I have the battery grip and interestingly the same happens when I turn the quick dial there. Perhaps the grip qdial links into the same circuit meaning a fault in one, affects both the same way?<br>

Has anyone here encountered this problem before, I'd be most grateful if someone with 20d service knowledge / in depth electronics experience could please advise what the fault 'could' be or at least give their educated opinion. I'm guessing there is a broken circuit somewhere in or near the dial assembly.<br>

I'm fairly savvy with electronics and general service. I've found 20d disassembly instructions and feel quite confident that I could replace the quickdial assembly myself. My concern is whether swapping out the actual camera qdial will resolve the problem, Ideally I'd like to fully isolate the fault before ordering spare parts.<br>

Many thanks in advance.</p>