Additional Lens for my GF-1

brad_herman1

<p>I just picked up a GF-1 with the Lumix 20mm F/1.7 pancake lens. I'm looking to pick up another lens. Either the Lumix 14-45mm zoom or the 45mm Elmarit Macro (when it comes out). I'm also intrigued by the 14-140, but some say that it's a bit too big for the GF-1. Apparently, this lens was designed for the G-1 or GH-1.<br>

Another option would be a MF lens. I've owned Leicas in the past, and may pick up a body in the future. I know that CV, Lumix and Novoflex makes a Micro 4/3 to Leica M adapter. I'm not opposed to picking one of those up and getting a CV, or Zeiss 35 or 50mm lens for the GF-1.<br>

I was wondering how easy it was to focus? Are the results really that good or is it just a compromise to just be able to use your 'legacy glass' on the GF-1 (or EP-1) for that matter? I mean, if I aleady had a few M-Mount lenses would it make more sense to get the adapter and go that route? Am I silly not to just get the lenses that were designed to work properly with the GF-1 in the first place?<br>

Thanks<br>

Brad</p>

<p>The combination of a fast wide-normal and a fast portrait-tele is to me an ideal that is most of what I need. So, for the GF1 (or G1 or E-P1 ... etc), a 20 and 45 mm lens pair is perfect. </p>

<p>I'm currently using a Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8 adapted for the mount on a G1. It is a superb performer, easy to focus and inexpensive, far less than any Leica M lens. It will do fine until I can afford the ME45/2.8. If you have the money for the ME45, go for it. It will perform better on the GF1 than nearly any adapted lens. </p>

<p>I think GF1 and 20/1.7 is a very well balanced combo, and the announced 14/2.8 should make an equally nice package with GF1. But frankly I don't really think an LCD-only body is comfortable to use with longer lenses and manual focus lenses except on a tripod. However, for closeup work in the filed, I've found LCD (especially the ones with higher resolutoin on Panasonic bodies) very convenient because you can hand-hold the camera close to the subject without having to lean your body toward it.</p>

<p>As for the MF lenses, it is fun to use various lens with m4/3 cameras via adapter, but it is quite unpredictable whether a lens perform as expected or not simply because they are in general not designed for digital cameras. So, buying expensive lenses (like Leica M ones) without any info from users can be a little dangerous bet.</p>