Nasty K-x mirror slap problem...

joe_jackson4

<p>I'm the guy that took the picture of the house with the crop (Paul provided a link to it I believe in the beginning of this thread (second response). I messed with the aperature, zoom, tried the 50-200mm lens etc but never guessed that the shutter speed or mirror slap could be the culprit. I did end up with some very sharp pics upon looking back at higher shutter speeds that really blew my mind with the first couple of shots I tried the first day I recieved it, but then after the house pics I thought something had gone very wrong with it and sent it back to B & H before I went over their 200 actuation count limit.<br>

I'm on the fence now to either get this exchanged or just go all out for the k7. </p>

<p>Jeff, yes, I've also had good results at higher/lower shutter speeds... When the camera works, it works very well indeed, but a camera that's unreliable at common shutter speeds clearly has a significant problem, so I don't blame you for returning your copy...</p>

<p>For what it's worth, I just did a back-to-back handheld test (SR on) with the K-x, K200D and DA35 in my hallway... Ten shots each at 1/90s... Success rate with the K200D was 10/10, and with the K-x it was 2/10. That's basically all I need to know.</p>

<p>My best guess here is that the root cause is the mirror slap jiggling the sensor assembly around a bit in there, but at the end of the day it's really not my responsibility to diagnose this issue any deeper than "the camera doesn't work properly". That's now Pentax's task, not mine... I'm just not prepared to mess around with this thing any further now, especially given the other reports I'm seeing... I'll box it up tomorrow and then go and see how the shop deals with this.</p>

<p>In all honesty, I'd still like a (working...!) K-x because I like the camera in many respects... But given what I've seen my main concern now is how many copies will I have to go through to get a good one...?</p>