Recommendations for work around lens other than 18-70mm ?

benhai_zhang1

<blockquote>

<p>"I forgot to mention that my kids made a deep scratch on the 18-70mm about 6mm (1/4"). It might effect the picture quality a little bit."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Whenever someone thinks a small scratch is going to noticeably degrade a photo not taken into a light source, it helps to remind them of <a href="http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches">this</a> .</p>

<p>I personally think the lens is being blamed here for things that aren't its fault and that similar or corresponding problems will occur with the same conditions, settings, camera, and photographer no matter <em>which </em> lens is being used.</p>

<p>Benhai,</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For 18-70mm lens if the aperture I use is at wide open then no matter how I adjust contrast and saturation the images doesn't look vivid.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nor will it ever. The 18-70 is not stellar wide open. Hardly any zoom is. So do not expect to find a cheap zoomlens that does deliver sharpness and contrast when used wide-open, since you'll be disappointed. My 18-70 was a good constant f/5.6 lens. Below that, it was mediocre/nice. Sorry, but be realistic about what you expect it to do.<br>

So, yes, there are some recommendations for other lenses. But if you want good wide aperture performance from a cheap zoom, most of the alternatives will also not deliver.</p>

<p>Maybe I am an equipment lover rather than a photographer. It is fun to play around and trying to get something better through many different ways.</p>

<p>It seems that the cheap way to get better quality of equipment is go with the old MF Nikkor prime lens. There will be many pain when shooting under Manual mode on non-professional bodies. But that's the fun part. I'm going this way to satify myself now.</p>