Another portrait session rb67 pro

golden

<p>decided to do another portrait session with julia, this time tried some off camera lighting with the speedlight, lens used was a 180mm C. it was pretty cold today, her hands stayed up inside her coat through most of the shoot. : )) film is acros 100</p><div>00VIwd-202479584.thumb.jpg.08b95e3f482d988be681d7ce99161fb8.jpg</div>

<p>John,<br>

What scanner are you using? I've ALWAYS had this problem with all Epson scanners I've owned (four different models in 6 years). It happens occassionally , but for no rational reason. I was told by customer support to first try disconnecting both power and USB cords and rebooting computer when it happens. But most of the time I had to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them.<br>

Color negs would show a green line, sometimes red.<br>

Anyone else experience this regularly?</p>

<p>Nice work! I agree about the tonality -- you really nailed the exposure. And your rapport with your portrait subject shows too. Also glad you both didn't freeze -- hey wait, you didn't say. Tell me she didn't freeze!!! :)</p>

<p>I've read that flatbed scanner lines can sometimes be caused by dust in the calibration area -- that blank area bounded by the cut-out at the end of the film holder. I've gotten those too on my Epson scanner; dusting and re-scanning usually nails it. Also sometimes I just turn it off and let it cool down for a while (although it doesn't seem hot).</p>

<p>Anyway, hoping that a quick whisk of the glass with the anti-static brush does the trick for you.</p>

<p>thanks Rick for the critique, I didnt even notice about the coat, should have used a darker color, i did this once before doing a portrait except it was a bright white shirt. the scanner i use is an epson v700 and it did this a few times before, last time i had to reinstall the drivers, and oh! no she didnt freeze, usually we move around to different areas to take pictures but it was just too cold, so i shot a roll up pretty quick. the flash was set up on a stand about 4 feet from her angled at about 45deg to my right, I darkend the background a stop and a half</p>

<p>thanks Rick for the critique, I didnt even notice about the coat, should have used a darker color, i did this once before doing a portrait except it was a bright white shirt. the scanner i use is an epson v700 and it did this a few times before, last time i had to reinstall the drivers, and oh! no she didnt freeze, usually we move around to different areas to take pictures but it was just too cold, so i shot a roll up pretty quick. the flash was set up on a stand about 4 feet from her angled at about 45deg to my right, I darkend the background a stop and a half</p>

<p>Just for the sake of experimenting..... <br>

Now that you have the flash settings right, try using different shutter speeds? Since your shutter syncs at all speeds, the flash sets up the foreground exposure, she'll remain about the same. You'll see the background change to give you a more 3D feel which you are very close to now. Nice work.</p>

<p> </p>

The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>From an aesthetic point of view these are very nice portraits. From a technical standpoint they show that flatbed scanners do not in general, exploit all of the quality advantages of the larger format. If you were to use a dedicated film scanner or print these negatives in a wet darkroom the final results would be even better.</p>

<p>Following on from what <strong>Paul</strong> has said, to a degree I feel that this session demonstrates the difficulties inherent in balancing flash "fill" against ambient light. Compared to your original post, <strong>John</strong> , the flash has become the primary source of illumination, and the surroundings have all but disappeared. "Julia 2", especially, demonstrates this, while "Julia 1" has a far nicer balance. I've always found fill-in flash a little dangerous, and tend to use only enough to put a catch-light in the eye. To me, if the subject is significantly brighter than the background, it begins to take on an un-natural look. These are lovely pics of your model, but do you feel you show her in her surroundings? I attach a recent portrait, also taken on an RB, which has just a touch of flash to light up the features. I guess it's all just a matter of taste, but I like to think we can share these opinions in this forum!</p><div>00VJSl-202699584.jpg.4ed5faf88cef0c45b16a8927050eebab.jpg</div>

<p>thanks for the responses, yes i was planning to print these in the darkroom tonite and see how they turn out, Rick thanks for the honest critique, that is why i enjoy this forum so much. everything I did in this photo shoot was intentional as far as darkening the background 1.5 stops also using my flash as my main light rather than a fill light, i wanted to use the ambient as fill on this one. what i was wanting to do here was more like a studio setting rather than an outdoor setting, the surroundings did not really mean that much to me, i was more after the lighting and using the flash as my main. thanks again for all the critique. </p>

<p>That's the beauty of using a leaf shutter, total control. These days, the digital age, many have forgotten how to balance a flash with harsh and suttle differences in ambiant backgrounds, utilaizing their equipment and skills. Final print and previsualization are going the way side, lack of experimintation, no imagination plus not intmately familiar with the equipment.<br>

With imediate greatification, ADD, and limited equipment, the art of photogrpahy is being watered down. Old techniques are getting lost because it takes too much time, a different thought process, a new mindset. MF and LF users have always enjoyed special capabilities n taking their sweat time to make each print a masterpiece.</p>

<p> </p>

The more you say, the less people listen.