Question about Prom and School Photography

joe_dolen

<p>I do not currently have a contract with a school, and quite frankly am not interested right now with what sounds like a pretty big headache. I do, however, have a strong interest in shooting proms. I've shot a couple proms with a larger size company in Los Angeles. I have since relocated to Massachusetts and would really like to shoot proms here. There is just something I really like about them. The kids are usually really happy, everyone is looking the best they've ever looked, and they want to spend money! So my question is, does anyone think it is a realistic goal to try to pursue prom photography, or do you think that every school has a contract with a big photography outlet that will also be shooting the prom in addition to everything else they shoot for the school?<br>

Thanks for your help guys!</p>

<p>Joe -</p>

<p>Given that it's 2009-10, I'm guessing that most schools have a contract with someone (whether it's a big company or not is irrelevant) for prom photos. </p>

<p>Depending on the size of the community - it may be with a LifeTouch or similar or a local mom and pop shop. The school in my district has LifeTouch for its formal photos but has a local shop for all activities.</p>

<p>Unfortunately - unless you get on with the company that is currently shooting the prom, you're going to have to deal with headaches. Either in terms of figuring out who at the school you talk to about doing photos, contracting with them or just in getting your foot in the door.</p>

<p>Is it worth it? As you pointed out - the kids are happy, it's their big night out, and they want to spend more money!</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Thanks David, I guess that gives me a little idea about what I'm up against and whether I think its worth the hassle or not. </p>

<p>If I were interested in trying to get a contract with a school (I would be interested in a small school right now), when do think would be a good idea to try to meet with them to get a contract? Early summer?</p>

<p>Do you currently have any school contracts? And if so, what do you think about the shooting schools? Is it a real good money maker, or just a lot of hassle? Thanks!</p>

<p>Joe</p>

<p>Our studio has a contract with many schools in the area. We shoot about 25,000 images in a given school year for school portraits. Our contract also includes that we do all events- homecomings, prom, games, etc. We found an opposite trend than what you indicated- most people are spending less for event photographs. We go in the hole on most proms by just paying our photographer to shoot it, but it is in our contract to do so. We can't give up the event shooting because we would be giving up parts of the contract that we actually make money from. We've found that in our area, everyone has a digital camera and can post to facebook, so why would they want a print? Our wallet sales for senior portraits are also less than they have been in the past because we've found most kids don't exchange wallets like they used to; they would rather post online to their buddies. Keep that in mind when you persue schools. Also, in general, it is a big headache to do the full contract with schools. You better have your ducks in a row before you dive in. We give a certain percentage of sales (not profit) to the school, and they will expect that if you approach them to do the school portraits. Good luck to you if you decide to persue this route! It can be profitable if you keep things straight. </p>

<p>Joe -</p>

<p>I had a contract with a pre-school to do their events and spring photos - the fall photos were controlled by "corporate" with a national contract via LifeTouch. Spring photo sales were just okay - the biggest sales for me by far were graduation and Santa Day. Other events - were fun to cover, but as mentioned - almost all parents have digital cameras and they don't want to pay for photos unless it's a "special" occasion.</p>

<p>I agree with a lot of what Jen stated - if you go in with a school - plan on shooting a lot of events that no one cares about or wants to buy photos from. Some schools have already separated events and portraits - like ours - but others do them as an all or nothing package.</p>

<p>Early summer seems to be the time to talk to them - they tend to run a cycle or two ahead. Contacts are usually through the school's activity or atheletics director. Be aware though that it is a time consuming process - as they (schools) tend to want 2 - 3 year contracts for this work - so if you catch it right - it can be golden, but if you're off on timing you may have to wait a bit.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Actually, we go to the schools at the end of January to the mid-February to discuss the next years contract. If I were you I would call about a week after schools get back in session from the holiday break to see when a good time to talk to the principal would be and set up an appointment. It may not be until near-summer, but I wouldn't wait too long.</p>