Knob replacement on older Calumet 4x5

robert_kennedy

O.k.

I FINALLY took the plunge. I went to LF. I just got an old Calumet

4x5 with rotating back today. Old, but the bellows look good, the

movements work, and it cost me little. Gotta save for the lenses

after all...

Anywho, everything is great, EXCEPT one thing.

The knob that controls front rise and fall is missing. I have the

gear and the shaft that knob goes on. That is all there. I'm just

missing the knob at the end of it. From the look of it, the knob is

sort of meant to come off, as the shaft has a flattened side to it.

I sent an E-mail to Calumet to see if they have a solution, but I

like to hedge my bets. Anyone know of a good (and cheap) solution to

my lack of knob (No laughing now from the British readers...)?

Oh, and I have no idea what model this is. It has no markings

besides being a flat silver color, and saying "Calumet" on it. But

the serial number is 19965 if that helps.

TIA

Robert,

I can't help you with a source for a generic knob, but I suggest you call Calumet in Chicago, and ask for Jose. If anyone in the company can help you with a question about an older style camera, he is the one. I have talked to him on a couple of occasions and he has been very helpful. Most likely, the e-mail tech support person will have to talk to him, so it might be good for you to go direct to the source.

Your camera was designed as the Kodak 4x5 Master View in about 1946. In 1956 EK sold the design to Calumet, who produced it as the CC-400 until the 1990's. They also sold a long-rail version, and one with bag bellows for architecture. It's also seen as the B&J Orbit. It's a workhorse, I used one on the job from '85 thru '93. Get a Kodak Commercial Ektar 8-1/2" f/6.3 for a classic setup.

If you are not fussy about appearances and only need a knob that works consider looking in the nearest Radio Shack store for the answer to your dilemma. I have cured many such problems over the years with knobs from this source. You can find a good selection of both press on and lock on (with a set screw) in all sizes. Hope this helps. It has saved my day mant times over the years with missing or stripped knobs on many cameras even older rangefinder 35s that had knob advances.

Another inexpensive solution is to bring your camera with you to a hardware store and look thru their assortment of "shaft collars" (a ring of metal with a set screw). Find one that fits snugly on the shaft itself. Tighten the set screw on the flat, and then find a second, larger size shaft collar that fits snugly over the one you just installed. Nest it over the first and tighten the set screw.

You may also want to purchase a short nylon or plastic bushing to space the nested shaft collars away from the front standard. You could also file a series of grooves around the outer collar to make it easier to grip.

The finished product is not very elegant, but it costs less than $5 and it works fine (at least on my old Kodak Master View)

Note that the original factory knob was spring-loaded which required that you push in and turn to make rise/fall adjustments. When you released the knob, the pinion gear would spring back and lock in a detent on the housing. You may be able to duplicate that function in your fix, or you can just push and pull as needed to adjust/lock.