Leica M6 & traveling.

patrick l.

<p>I just returned from 14 days in the Mediterranean Sea area. It was absolutely wonderful, especially the weather and the people with whom I travelled. Although I shoot digital for a living, I elected to take my M6 and three lenses, 35, 50, & 90. Even though I treasure this camera and would never want to lose it, I figure it is better to not have my digital work gear stolen or lost and have no tools to with which to work when I return to the U.S. It was a joy to slow down, compose photos, shoot film, (no lcd chimping) , and wait for the c-41 to be processed and scanned to CD. I worked for a few days on the computer editing and doing very little PS work on the files. Here are a handful of shots from the trip.</p><div>00VHtQ-201903584.jpg.73acfd9f049ac8a94e6b36113facccfd.jpg</div>

I may go to Europe again in a couple of years... and intend to do the same you did: grab my Leica and a couple dozens of rolls. My digital rig is too big, too notorious, to ostentatious (for a traveler) and too heavy... Besides, I don't want to travel with my laptop.

Beautiful colors and nice slices of Mediterranean life. Thanks for posting!

<p>I think more and more photographers are sharing your philosophy, Patrick. Here in Hawaii I see a lot of Japanese tourists with film cameras, especially young people. Rangefinders, both old and new, are popular.</p>

<p>On my next trip, I plan to travel with both my Nikon D90 with 12-24mm, 18-200mm and Leica M2 with 21mm, 50mm, 90mm. I've all ready determined I can get it all into a carry-on back pack with room for my 13" MacBook. Luckily, I've got my wife to carry one system at destination, while I carry the other.</p>

<p>Did you pack your film or purchase on location?</p>

<p>Thanks for the kind remarks. <br>

Robert-I took about 10 rolls of 200 speed c-41 with me and ended up having to purchase more on the trip. Some of the film was made in Italy and was way more contrasty than the Kodak consumer stuff I took with me. On seeing the initial scans, I thought that I had an X-Ray issue, however, that was not the case. Next time, I will take more film with the intention of bringing it back rather than purchasing film overseas. For that matter, in a few years, it will be harder to find film on site!</p>

<p>Very nice shots of your holiday trip. I have only visited southern France but the atmosphere seems to be similar to other Med countries. My M4-P and similar lenses are usually with me, although I also like the option of a Mamiya 6 and a couple of lenses for film photography. Somehow, vacation is ideal for the more relaxed photography that film often implies and you don't have to worry about deadlines or immediate response.</p>

<p>As I don't have much luck in asking for and obtaining hand film inspection at airports I usually carry only 100 ISO film or less to minimize any X ray effects (I am told never to put any film in checked luggage!) at the check-in. In any case, most shooting is done under good light conditions.</p>

<p>Hi Patrick nice shots I can relate to your trip I also like taking a film camera and leaving the digital at home. Must say I like to use the hand meter for tricky lighting to know I get it right. I like my Mamiya for landscapes, I some times ask myself why. But when I see the previews or the scans I know again. I often take a Nikon FM2 with 50mm in my bag when not intending to photograph as it so compact compared to digital. Must admit If I had an M6 and your three lenses I would feel like being in heaven.</p>

<p>Nice photos and a nice philosophy. My gear depends whether I'm traveling alone, with other photographers, or just with other people. Three lenses is all I can seem to keep track of anyway, and usually the longest in the group isn't used very often. Some of these trips have paid for themselves through photo sales, so traveling light is not a serious restriction.</p>

<p>My girlfriend and I both carry M6 bodies and share 21, 50 and 135 lenses. The true beauty of the M6 is that as a rangefinder it is dead quiet. She went to Namibia a few years ago and if she could shoot before the loud honkin' DSLRs came out, she didn't get the standard "Butts across Africa" I have had success at 1/30 and even 1/15 hand held B&W in Paris at midnight because the camera doesn't jiggle.</p>

<p>I did the same last autumn - I took my M6TTL + 3 lenses (35, 50 & 90) on a Mediterranean cruise. At times it was satisfying, but at other times, frustrating. This was especially true in the case of the more difficult shots - I really missed the 'check & re-do' ability of digital.</p>

<p>You can find some of the images <a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/tomburke42">here</a>. Anything labelled 'Solstice 2009' was taken with the Leica. The Capri set includes several shots where the exposure is not right, to say nothing of the artistic vision. But I was pleased with the Santorini set - (Kodak Ektra) and some of the Istanbul images. The Hagia Sophia interiors were taken on 1600 ASA print film, IIRC.</p>

<p>In this world of digital instant gratification, shooting film still forces the photographer to think about what they are doing before they trip the shutter. You don't have essentially unlimited bites at the apple. Digital does have it's place, don't get me wrong, but 35mm will always be my default until film is no longer available. And I sincerely hope I have assumed room temperature by the time that happens.</p>

<p>Sorry for the tangent - but the 35, 50, 90 combo is not logical IMO. Personal taste and style aside, it might be better to lose either the 35 or 50 and get a wider lens. E.g. 28, 50, 90; 21, 35, 90.</p>

<p>Anyway I do like shooting with Ms. Film is in the good books again, despite saying a while ago that I'd <em>never</em> touch film again.</p>

<p>Travel photography is something I enjoy reading about... but never do!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"In this world of digital instant gratification, shooting film still forces the photographer to think about what they are doing before they trip the shutter. You don't have essentially unlimited bites at the apple. Digital does have it's place, don't get me wrong, but 35mm will always be my default until film is no longer available. And I sincerely hope I have assumed room temperature by the time that happens."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm sorry. That's just a load of cobblers. You may think as little or as much as you like with either medium, in any format. A kilo of metal and glass in my hand doesn't make me think anything. Same with tripods. Framing, focus and exposure always have to be considered, from jumbo format albumen prints down to digital pocket P&S cameras.</p>

<p>I agree with Graham, film versus digital has nothing to do with the pictures shown here, or thought or no thought: they all could have been taken with a small digital camera — and one doesn't have to bring a computer along, which in any case does not take up the space of two or more dozen rolls of film.</p>

<p>I assume the "Butts across Africa" reference above refers to animal running away when they hear the clack of DSLRs — that is sheer nonsense, as even the longest rangefinder lens, a 135mm, is much to short for serious game photography, which requires at east 200mm focal length and preferably 200-400mm. In any case, shy species react much more to the vehicle...</p>

<p>Shoot with whatever type of camera you like, but spare us these specious arguments.</p>

<p>—Mitch/Bangkok</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A good choice. I've literally been on, and photograped, every continent except Antarctica--I worked for UPI since my days in Vietnam. I'm semi-retired now, as is my wife (also a photog). We traveled throughout Europe, the Med and North Africa (Egypt, Morocco, Algeria, Malta, side trip to Cyprus) just 2 years ago. All I took was an M6, a Tri-Elmar 28-35-50, a 135/4 and an old Noctilux 50/1.2. I shot Tri-X for b&w, Ektar 100 for color and some ISO 400 & 800 color negative stock bought locally.</p>

<p>What a pleasure to travel with such a light kit! The Canon EOS and gazillion lenses stayed home. I just can't hack it at my age with a large bag on my shoulder anymore. I FedEx'd my rolls home periodically for developing.</p>