Necessary to save an Additional Adobe RGB in jpeg?

<p>Hi there,<br /> I have a workflow which I save and embed (srgb icc) an sRGB jpeg in one folder and another Adobe RGB in another folder for my client to print at their inkjet printer if it can print Adobe RGB. My question is since I am embedding the ICC profile in my sRGB jpeg, if they open the file say in Photoshop then convert it to Adobe RGB then print will they still print the same quality as Adobe RGB without loosing any color data? I thought about this so i will be able to save some time in my workflow since i save two files meaning I will only save in one folder using an ICC embeded sRGB. IF they want to print a wider color gamut then they can convert to Adobe RGB then print.<br>

<br /> Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>I'd save it in AdobeRGB and make an sRGB as required. I think that once you convert from wider gamut to smaller, you can't really go back as the color mapping to get back is gone.</p>

<p>Also realize that they are both working spaces, not printing spaces. The printer has it's own space as defined by the paper/ink/printer profile</p>

<p>If the orignial file started out life in the sRGB color space, then color range is neither lost nor gained by converting to Adobe RGB. In short, if the client first knows how to convert for printing, it is redundant to give them a second file. If, however, they aren't familiar with things like that, a second image in the Adobe98 space could help. NB: even though printing is usually governed by the print profile, I have noticed differences between the same image printed with sRBG vs. A98 converted profiles. </p>

<p>Ahh that sucks, i thought it still somehow preserves the Adobe RGB data in an embedded ICCed jpeg. the only reason I want to save in sRGB is because of those printer services that only accepts srgb and web so my clients can order prints fast and easy. I also know the printer has its own printing space which i soft proof against. i just notice it prints much much better in Adobe RGB compared to srgb in my printer at least so im thinking my clients may benefit from this.</p>

<p>and Aaron my file starts life at Adobe RGB. It used to be Prophoto but since sometimes i missed converting to sRgb and all messed up in the web i tried to make it a little safe with starting from Adobe RGB which i know still does not display 100% right in the web but its much accurate than sending a prophoto in the web.<br>

OK now is there a way in photoshop to automatically create 3 files or 2? so one save would create and SRGB, ADOBE RGB and/or Prophoto</p>

<p>in short, yes.</p>

<p>They wont see any difference printing a sRGB or a sRGB > Adobe RGB..but since not many client have a good inkjet at home or know how to use it, they will probably rely on external lab, where they need sRGB for a good no problem print experience.</p>

<p>So again in short, give them only sRGB file and they should be happy and live problem free.</p>

<p><em>The best solution is to ask the client what they want and give it to them.</em><br>

Many client dont know / care about the technical fact..asking them what they want could make you look like you dont know what to give them, or make them nervous to give bad answer and receive bad file ... bets bet is to give them a universal print good anywhere file or color psace i should say being sRGB.<br>

<em><br /></em></p>

<p>I'll probably get slammed for saying this but, when I convert to sRGB from Adobe RGB, I rarely, if ever see any change in color. I know there are colors in Adobe RGB that sRGB can't record, but those colors are at the fringes. That is, they may not even be in the scene you're shooting. If that's the case it shouldn't make a whit of difference in the quality of the print, whether it's printed in Adobe RGB by a capable printer, or by a lab that prints in sRGB. <br /> If you're shooting art, or very saturated colors you're more likely to see a difference, but for most circumstances there's no reason to give your client two files, the only difference being the color space.</p>

<p>It's far more important (although unrelated to the question of sRGB vs. Adobe RGB) to save the files YOU keep for archives in the RAW format, rather than doing your adjustments then saving as jpeg for your archives, which I see many people at PN like to do to save hd space.</p>

<p>Peter</p>