Lightroom Brightness and Contrast Defaults?

<p>Hello --<br>

I am sure that I am not the first one to wonder why Lightroom upon import sets <strong>brightness to 50</strong> and <strong>contrast to 25</strong> and sets a default contrast <strong>curve of medium </strong>when I import RAW files. I don't quite understand why though. Wouldn't an image be closer to it's original exposure if all values were left to zero and the ACR setting to the camera profile? May be I am naive or don't fully understand what happens during RAW import and why those values are necessary. I would gladly appreciate any insights.</p>

<p>thank you in advance,<br>

patrick.</p>

<p>I believe it is really just a design aspect, where for example 50 is a good starting point and you adjust from there. Obviously, these are set prior to any corrections being made, so they are still base values. They just to be values other than zeros. I think as far as brightness goes, 50 is middle of the field, with 100 being basically white, and 0 basically black. My guess is the thinking behind other adjustments was similar.</p>

<p>Its there because without those tweaks, the images would appear far too dim and dark. After all, this is linear encoded data (from Raw) unlike gamma corrected data you normally work with that have a preset tone curve. <br>

See http://www.digitalphotopro.com/technique/camera-technique/exposing-for-raw.html as there’s a illustration of the Raw linear data broken by stops where you can see the distribution of tones. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>i didtn know the correct answer, so thanks Andrew.</p>

<p>All i can say is that the only setting i change in those 3 are the contrast that i prefer at 35-45 depending of the shot. All other adjustment are done with exposure, recovery, fill light and black.</p>

<p>I rarely touch, i shoul say never touch the base curve for 99% of my images personally</p>