Opinion please

samn

<p>I have been asked to do some portfolio shots by my daughter, of my granddaughter. She is 15 going on 20, very attractive and aggressive. The images are supposed to be costumed "fashion shots". Some costumes would be considered sexy probably, but no nudes. The shoot has been in the planning stages for a month now and will take place in January.</p>

<p>I want to do this shoot for the artistic opportunity, but am becoming concerned with both legality and what might happen in the future account of the photographs. Of course this will be a free exchange of photographer and model. Should I ask my daughter and granddaughter to sign releases, and if so what releases?</p>

<p>Where I live daughters, granddaughters and fathers/grand fathers don't sue each other over rights on photos :).<br>

Would you sue your daughter over some pictures? Would she?<br>

It's a crazy world nowadays, granted, but this is absurd.</p>

<p>Two points:</p>

<p>- If you want to present these photographs to a third party for publication at a later date, he or she will need a release.</p>

<p>- You say your daughter asked for 'portfolio shots'. If your granddaughter is contemplating a career as a model she will have to get used to signing releases. I have found that the best way to help our children/grandchildren prepare for the world of work is to get them used to the expected way of doing things in that field. Ask her to sign a release if only to teach her what these things involve, what she's signing away, and to understand that when she poses, the photographer is making an investment of time and creative energy that he or she is entitled to protect.</p>

<p>Family or not, get a release. Approach it as suggested above that if she's an aspiring model she'll need to get used to signing releases (technically, her <strong>parents</strong> need to get used to signing releases for her since she's a minor). Either way a release will reinforce the fact that this is a photo shoot with a photographer and not Grampy taking pictures and will outline how you and her will be allowed to use the images in the shots in the future.</p>

<p>It is a crazy world Nakolay I completely understand your comments. It is a shame we live like this, but we do.</p>

<p>Thanks Mark, David and Sean for confirming how to proceed with this. I agree. There is no way for me to control or feel comfortable with the situation without agreements. Thanks. Also it will be a good learning experience for mother and daughter because their aspirations are for my granddaughter to go into modeling.</p>

<p>yes sign a release, even if it is a Kangaroo Kourt version so she gets the drift of the modelling business...<br>

now, just out of curiosity, how on earth can doing a photo shoot be in planning stages for an entire month? what needs that much planning?<br>

I do outdoor nature stuff as a hobby. I go outdoors, I take pictures. I plan almost nothing, other than gas for the car, food, spare battery & memory card etc. This other process you describe sounds an awful lot like <em><strong>work..</strong> ugh</em></p>