Recommendations of Profoto Lighting Equipment

beepy

<p>I'm considering the Profoto line of lighting. Well, more than considering. Picked up a D1 Air kit (250 w/s)...<br>

I'm looking at the D4 power pack. And comparing to Acute2? I'm looking for a *very simple* independent channel approach to lighting. The D4 looks simple and elegant. Also company looks solid, with support for products moving forward? Looking for a long term invest here. Lots of modifiers, compatibility with my Photoflex softboxes etc.<br>

Pretty much not looking outside Profoto as I want to have accessory compatibility with monolights (D1).<br>

I have used Speedotron power pack for years - it's whatever division system is distracting to me. Really trying to gain some fine control over lighting solution.<br>

Comments advice?<br>

Mostly do portraits and figures, in constructed sets. <br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>I do hope the D1s are easier to use than their web site! I am just starting the search for a mobile lighting kit.<br>

I've been looking at the Ranger Quadra or the Quantum, though i prefer the Quadra at the moment as it is designed for serious studio work, yet you can pack it up, put a battery with it and away you go. It is 400Ws and comes with a great range of add-ons it has more channels than i understand at the moment and i am hoping to find the answers to what the different channets do and mean on this site. Let me know how its goes, i am really interested.<br>

We are full time professional location portrait photographers and Wedding Photographers Imagine That Studios take a look at us at http://www.imaginethat.uk.net</p>

<p>You're certainly on the right track. Though I primarily use Elinchrom (chose them for many of the same reasons, but a few options gave the edge to Elinchrom), I have used Profoto in the past. Profoto is top-of-the-line, backed with outstanding support. I love that their modifiers are universally compatible across the product line. You'll also benefit from consistent color temperature across the product line.<br>

Specifically regarding the D4, I think you'll be very pleased with its performance. Truly assymetric, and available in 1200, 2400 and 4800 configurations. It's also a breeze to operate. I am an avid fan of computer control, allowing you to modify lighting configurations from a computer, and store and retrieve your favorite configurations in an instant. For studio work, it's a blessing!<br>

Only two recommendations I'd made are:<br>

1. Consider budgeting for Profoto modifiers. Though expensive, they are well worth the investment. Profoto makes an amazing range of modifiers, but you can start with the basics and add as you need them. I believe the soft boxes are matched to the head's color temperature, and that produces an absolutely amazing light.<br>

2. Consider purchasing the "R" version of the D4, which includes built-in support for PocketWizard remotes. If you don't use them now (you should!), having that capability built-in will save you some $$$ in the future. </p>

<p>You're certainly on the right track. Though I primarily use Elinchrom (chose them for many of the same reasons, but a few options gave the edge to Elinchrom), I have used Profoto in the past. Profoto is top-of-the-line, backed with outstanding support. I love that their modifiers are universally compatible across the product line. You'll also benefit from consistent color temperature across the product line.<br>

Specifically regarding the D4, I think you'll be very pleased with its performance. Truly assymetric, and available in 1200, 2400 and 4800 configurations. It's also a breeze to operate. I am an avid fan of computer control, allowing you to modify lighting configurations from a computer, and store and retrieve your favorite configurations in an instant. For studio work, it's a blessing!<br>

Only two recommendations I'd made are:<br>

1. Consider budgeting for Profoto modifiers. Though expensive, they are well worth the investment. Profoto makes an amazing range of modifiers, but you can start with the basics and add as you need them. I believe the soft boxes are matched to the head's color temperature, and that produces an absolutely amazing light.<br>

2. Consider purchasing the "R" version of the D4, which includes built-in support for PocketWizard remotes. If you don't use them now (you should!), having that capability built-in will save you some $$$ in the future. </p>