Plate camera to film camera?

robert_davis2

You need to work out the original film / plate size. It could be any of a multitude of sizes but if European in origin probably 9x12cm or 10x15cm. You can then look out for film holders which could either be the single metal slides or a Rada type roll film holder. It is unlikely modern film holders would work without major modification. I am not sure about the degree of standardisation so be careful. 9x12 sheet film is still quite easily obtainable in some European countries. You will also need to check the lens and shutter, bellows and general condition.

I'm pretty sure it's a 9x12. Finding a dealer selling the film was pretty easy. Everything is in the archives-) Problem is while the film is pretty cheap shipping from Germany isn't. If I could fit a 4x5 holder then that would work out better. Having to import 9x12 film would turn a cheap camera into an expensive one. Better for me to spend more up front.

Linhof holders are dual plate-film holders and so should fit a plate camera. I'm not sure of the exact size but I used them on my 4x5 Linhof Technika camera. I don't know for sure whether Linhof still makes these holders but they show up on e bay and in dealers' used equipment ads fairly often.