Price of Leica M2

robbiebedell

<p>I have an opportunity to buy a chrome button rewind M2 that is in "like new" condition. It's as if it's right out of the box. The seller is asking asking $1200. Does that seem high or about right? I would love to buy this camera. I would like to hear your input on this. Thank You!</p>

<p>Do you plan to use it or place it in a show only collection/ vault? If buying for use, it may need a CLA which should be figured into the total cost. The CLA could range from $100USD to $300USD. A camera in such "like new" condition because of it's age may have dry, hardened lubricants. The button rewind model is worth more than the lever model, so if you are a user, look for a more common M2 for between $600 and $900USD, one that has "patina" and you won't be afraid to use it under most conditions. I used an M3 double stroke in user condition at a Steam Show (Traction Engines) in South Central Pennsylvania in the rain, camera/ lens suffered no ill effects. </p>

<p>It does seem a bit high. My button rewind M2 was made in 1958 and is a superb camera - one of the best that Leitz made. However, a 50 year-old camera will definitely need a CLA, if it has not had one recently. You won't find a better or more reliable camera for taking pictures. I do hope that's why you want it. </p>

<p>Thank You all! When I say this one is like new , it is, inside and out. I own another M2 an M3 and an M6 and this M2 camera I am looking at is more quiet and smooth than any Leica M I have ever heard. That's why I want it... I do not need it, I just want it..You know how that goes....</p>

<p>(1) The button rewind is the older model, the newer ones have the lever rewind.<br>

(2) The older ones don't have the self-timer. Does yours have the self-timer?</p>

<p>$1,200 is rather high for such a camera, unless it comes with the original box and all the papers, for these, and the unused status are what make the price well above $900, and cameras in such a condition are destined for the camera humidor (display case), never to be used.</p>

<p>If you want a camera to actually use, then you can get something for around $800 in fairly good condition. If you get a very cheap one, around $500-$600, chances are that it will need a CLA, which could cost anywhere from $100 to $250. It's the Leica version of Russian Roulette.</p>

<p>http://www.cameraquest.com/mguide.htm</p>

<p>http://www.cameraquest.com/leicamchecklist.htm</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>A good one, button rewind, very nice condition and I think recently CLAd, was sold on RFF for that price. So yes, it is a little high, but if it's nice and you like it and you want it, what does it matter that you pay a little too much for it? My next one will be lever and self-timer.</p>

<p>I just brought a mint Leica M2 two weeks ago for 400 euro (around 600 $). Build in 1963. With Quickload spool. On a Photografica Event.<br>

On a eBay clone here in Holland a guy insisted to want more than 600 euro (900 dollars!) for a not so good looking M2, which needs next to an CLA (175 euro with Will van Maanen if I remember it well) a lot of loving care..</p>

<p>It would be good to know the serial number as there were a very few M2 bodies produced in 1962, (M2X) without self timers. This is not engraved on the camera. You could only tell by the serial number.</p>

<p>Some of the earliest M2 bodies (1957) had no metal surround around the rewind button. What kind of rewind mechanism does this camera have? Button without surround, button with surround, lever type? Button without surround is more rare. 1962 M2 without self timer is more rare.</p>