Another D700/FX lens choice question

bdmott

<p>I recently upgraded my D100 to a D700. Let me just say-WOW!!! No really, WOW!!!!<br />I am an amateur but this is a serious hobby for me. I have no particular subject matter (like landscapes, portraits) that i shoot regularly but I find shooting in low light, with or without flash to be very challenging. Things like outdoor night parades, indoor bands, theatre, etc. I love trying to get the ambient light just right and using fill flash for the subject. I am practicing all the various techniques to get my skill to improve shooting these situations.<br />Here's my current equipment: sb800, nikkor 50mm f1.4, 70-300 f4-5.6, 28-105 f3.5-4.5.<br />I like the range of the last lens in my list and it is up until now regularly what I have been using. It's just not the greatest at autofocusing and its not very fast for my low light needs. My question, I'm finally getting to it, is if I were to get a 24-70 f2.8 with my D700 sensor, would cropping my pics give me the range at the long end i would loose from the 105mm. Or would adding a teleconverter be acceptable compromise to increase the reach.<br />The reason I'm asking this is there is really no Nikon standard FX zoom that has the range of my 28-105. Thom Hogan hated the 24-120.<br />I have no issues with cost. I'm also not really interested in other brand lenses, sorry.<br />I'd be interested in your comments. <br />Cheers.</p>

<p>Brian, There have been several threads on the 24-70 and the difference between the VRI and the new VRII. As best as I can tell, the VRII lens was upgraded to address a number of issues with the FX format (even though the VRI doesn't say it's a DX lens). The IQ is, however, so good, that the images will take the serious cropping in PP as you propose. Nice piece of glass for $2,500. I test-shot one on my D700 at a local shop (and whimpered all the way home). |;-}</p>

<p>Yeah, stay far away from the 24-120; POS should be recalled. I'm getting good results from my 24-85D that I got to replace the 24-120 I traded in. Its IQ won't match the new 24-70/2.8 VR II, but it is about half the weight!</p>

<p>If you want a faster f2.8 zoom, the 24-70mm/f2.8 is the way to go. Otherwise, the 28-105 has a good reputation although I have never used one myself. I suppose it should be ok for the time being. Hopefully Nikon will update their mid-range zoom in the near future, but if you want f2.8, don't expect any 24-105mm/f2.8 any time soon.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>There have been several threads on the 24-70 and the difference between the VRI and the new VRII. As best as I can tell, the VRII lens was upgraded ...</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think you are confusing the AF-S VR 70~200mm f/2.8G with the above. There has only ever been one version of the AF-S 24~70/2.8, and it is not VR.<br>

-</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>The reason I'm asking this is there is really no Nikon standard FX zoom that has the range of my 28-105.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>If Nikon were smart, they would reintroduce the 28~105mm f/3.5-4.5 as an AF-S VR 28~105mm. Who knows, perhaps it is in the works. They are probably not doing themselves any favors by bundling the AF-S VR 24~120mm as the "kit lens" for the D700. :-)</p>

<p>A superb fast Nikkor lens you might consider is the VR 105mm f2.8. Great glass and fast focusing. You can use a teleconverter with it, unlike the VR 70-300mm, but in manual focus only.<br>

Another excellant fast Nikkor is the discontinued 35-70mm f2.8 which is a push-pull. Also excellant optics and fast focusing. It also works with the TC 14A. It is not a VR. I bought one used from KEH last year to use with my D3 and have been very pleased with it.</p>

<p>Duh . . .What am I smoking and where can everybody get some?</p>

<p>Yes, of course I'm confusing the new VR II 70-200 with the 24-70.</p>

<p>Sorry Brian, I'll go back and sit in the corner now. It's been a very long day, but I did try the 24-70 2.8 and it IS a fine piece of equipment</p>

<p>the 24-70 f2.8 cannot be used with any teleconverter.<br>

it would seem to me that with the FX sensor on the D700 that cropping in post production would be similar to shooting at higher focal lengths since you could zoom in and not lose any significant IQ.??</p>

<p>Unless you're planning on shooting sports, I suggest you find a clean used copy of the 180 2.8. It's tack sharp, and relatively small. </p>

<p>I use a kit similar to yours (28-105, Sigma 50, and 70-300VR), and I'm thinking about picking up the 180 again to replace the long zoom in my bag.</p>

<p>I also have a 28-105 which I upgraded to the built-in AFS motor with the 24-85. I think both are still very usable as all round lenses.</p>

<p>I find this lenses useful even being owner of a 24-70 too. The range of the faster lens is shorter, but in my experience it finally doesn`t matter at all, since I use it for very different tasks. The pro lens is noticeably bigger and heavier; if you`re like me, you`ll leave it at home in most of your trips or when you want to preserve your 24-70 from a possible damage.</p>

<p>Many Nikon users would like to have a high quality copy of the Canon lens, a 24-105VR... if so, it could be probably a f4 lens. Looks like Nikon prefer to offer variable aperture lenses in this range, a bit faster in the shorter but a bit slower in the longer... from a point of view it makes more sense.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>You can set one of the 3 function buttons on the D700 to switch between FX & DX with the 24-70. You will then see a Dx sized frame in the viewfinder, be utilizing about 5+ MPs of the sensor, and get an extremely usable image at Large/Fine from those juicy, jumbo pixels. That button will tun the 24-70 into a 24-105. Set the camera at auto iso, and you will be amazed at iso 2500-3200 images shot at 1/30@ f2.8. You don't want to spoil this lens with a TC and loss of a stop. It defeats its high iso, noiseless image design, esp shooting wide open.</p>