Nikon Lenses

rashed

<p>Frankly, I'm very alarmed at the fact that they would sell you a charger for US $1200... did you say you are buying directly from the manufacturing plant?<br>

I've traveled a 'bit' in southeast asia, and agree that the people there are very very nice and pleasant... BUT... You always have to be aware of people trying to take advantage of you and your money. Are you sure you bought from the official Nikon representative in Thailand? A good place to check, would be Nikon's official website with a list of representatives in Thailand. If they are official representatives, I'm sure you can complain about the charger, and possibly even exchange the lenses - as they do not perform to the Nikon standard, and are still under warranty.<br>

As for why Nikon decided to upgrade these specific lenses, I believe someone in the other post noted that it is probably in time for the winter olympics... <br>

Hope this helps...</p>

<p>Yes my friend Dave I bought from Nik THailand the offical place of Nikon in Thaialand and I have all of the paper of price for it, singed and stamped by Nik Thailand which I can photo copy and post any where Nikon would like.<br>

I also did not sleep trying to find out where Nikon did state that their 70-200MM F2.8 VR can only be operated by using a tripod, if this is the case Nikon has failed to add this statement in their operating manual.<br>

My friend, I did call Nik Thailand several time but they did not respond to why the price of the charger and the 2 batteries are so high comparing it to the prices of them on the internet with other dealers.<br>

I will also call them this morning again if some one from nikon did not so far did read this thread and reported it.<br>

I only knew the prices different after some one here pointed out here on photo.net, then I had to check for the price with b&h and adorama and other internet sources.</p>

<p>Thank you a lot my friend, I do approcaite your input and hope Nikon can read all of this.</p>

<p>Thank you my friend</p>

<p>Thank you very much my friend <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=2190230">Steven Seelig</a>, I bought my 70-200 f2.8 vr for more than 2000 USA dollars, 67,000 Bat, I do not fail it is right to sell it for 150 dollrs after just 2 months of buying it, I also noticed the different between the photos you have posted, the sharpness is very much different with the new lens, you did a great job my friend, to post these images here, thank you a lot my friend.</p>

<p>Rashed<br>

Just to be sure you understand.<br>

1. I always shoot handheld and almost never shoot on a tripod<br>

2. My old 70-200, I sold for 90% of what I paid for it in 2004.<br>

Both the old one and new one are great lens with great pictures, but the new one is much better than the old one.. so if you can imagine something better than great then you can imagine the VRII lens.</p>

<p>I found this comment on the mtf of the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR by Klaus in Photozone.com interesting:</p>

<p>"We're a little worried about the amount of sample variation we saw during the creation of this review. A total of 4 lenses were run through the complete test cycle, two of which showed resolution values significantly below what you see in these charts. Two additional lenses were so soft wide open that we stopped to review them after just a few test shots.<br />In all cases softness wide open seemed to be a result of misalignment of one of the elements, maybe the VR unit (but this is pure speculation on our side)."</p>

<p>My friend <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=3840408">Brian Sprague</a>, thank you for posting this information.</p>

<p>Yes, the first day I bought these two lenses, I did hear a click after shooting, then I asked here and found that this click is just normal, this shows that the VR selonid do operate , engaging and dis engaging the VR realy.<br>

I will have to test it again and see , on the other hand my friend, many are saying that these lenses given soft results during the tests at F stop 4 or lower.<br>

The give best result at F 11 or F8, but this is just asemptions from some people as I did not read anything offical about this issue, still there is a room to do this test and see for my self.<br>

I did call Nik Thailand just one hour back and requested to change my present 70-200mm VR one with the new one and I am prepared to pay the difference, but they did not agree although the lens I have comes with one year warranty.<br>

I will try to find a way to control this lens as much as its possible till I get back home on 19th. this month and then drive to Dubai and buy again the new lens as the priceses here are far more than what they are in our part of the world, the F5 battery charger is a good example for that.</p>

<p>Thank you my friend for your input again and wishing you all of the members here all of the best</p>

<p>My friend <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=323291">Dieter Schaefer</a>, thank you very much for all of the informations you have put to this thread , I do approciate it a lot my friend.<br>

The canon 70-200MM F2.8 IS which I had, was a very sharp lens, I photographed people on the street in Pattaya and posted many of them on photo.net last year, all of those images being so sharp and crispy.<br>

On the other hand the Sigma 70-200MM F2.8 HSM is another wonderful lens I worked with, it is not the way the camera been operated by me my friend, it is just the Nikon could well have a problem with their VR system.<br>

Investing too much money by Nikon to replace the horse lens of Pro. and serious photographers and adding a definiation of VR-II, means something is wrong with VR-I, even if some of the Nikon presentitve on different internet site are saying other wise.<br>

Again my friend, all of your points did reach me in proper manner and I will make sure I get the banefit out of that.</p>

<p>Thank you my friend again and wishing you all of the best.</p>

<p>Salam! سلام Rashed, my experience with purchases in Thailand (my wife is Thai and I've been there quite a bit) is that -<br>

A) cost on Tech items (non-counterfeit) are much higher than in other places around the world (if it’s much less expensive than it is most likely counterfeit) even if they are manufactured there and,<br>

B) you will have a VERY HARD time trying to make any return or exchange even from manufacture shops with full warranty etc.<br>

Perhaps you'll be able to get better service in Qatar... perhaps you can return/exchange for the VRII there?<br>

Bettawfeeq بالتوفيق!</p>

<p>There will always be upgrades. That's technology progressing for you and a bit of marketing of course. I would just be satisfied with the fantastic system that you have which the majority cannot afford.<br>

The poor focus problems you are experiencing are i have no doubt in mentioning are poor technique. Unfortunately people love to blame these problems on their equipment. <br>

Good photography is not easy and takes a lot of persevering. Unfortunately there is a large proportion of people out there that think they can take great shots because they have the latest gear (load of tosh !). I'm in no way saying you are one of these people but am saying that your focusing issues are down to technique as mentioned.</p>

<p>My friend <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=5732861">J Williamson</a>, salam alikom and thank you a lot for your input to the thread, I will have to drive down to Dubai as soon as I reach home, you might know my friend it is only seven hours drive drive from Qatar, I am going to buy the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 HSM, I always had a great experince with this lens, smaller in size . less in weight and faster to respond with the camera, the F2.8 with the sigma is a real F2.8 and will do maintain sharp focus, it is very simllier to the canon 70-200mm f2.8 , the nikon one I have expeinced it being more bolky and its extra weight adds on its poor sharpness where you need to operate at higher shutter speed to compensate for that.<br>

I have tested both lenses this afternoon on the same camera with the same set up and at a matter of only a mint to switch from one lens to another, the sigma is a Thai friend of mine here, the result would shake Nikon by all means.<br>

I will post them on as soon as my friend put the technical data on the images.</p>

<p>Thank you my friend again and wishing you all of the best.</p>

<p>My friend <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=5732861">J Williamson</a>, thank you a lot for your input , it is very much approcaited by all means.<br>

I understand that I am on my way trying my best to learn photography the right way and from the people whom having more expernices than me, I do find this is very human and of no shame at all, the people who think they know everything are those people who will never learn and will never improve at all.<br>

For example my friend, you will never find any of my images twisted on the right or the left , this is simple basic and when many of a person images are need be shifted or titlted, then to me he is not learning much and he luck the understanding of photography.<br>

So my friends I started to learn the basic and from there learn more and more.</p>

<p>As I have stated earlier , I have given my camera and my lens to a nikon expert and a first class photographer to test, with all of his tuning and playing with my camera setup, he couldn't give me one sharp photo at F2.8 or at F4 with an ISO of 400 and with a mono pod.<br>

So where I am now, need a high shutter speed and an F stop of 8 or more , 800 ISO or more in order to gain sharpness out of nikon lens ?<br>

Well my friend, I do not need to operate my camera shooting flowers, insacts or street head and shoulder with those settings, why can't I shoot with the setting of F2.8 and an ISO of 200 in a normal lighting condition ?<br>

When a lens sharpness is above F4 then that lens is having a problem my friend and the manfacturer are trying to cover it up and come so quick with a modified one , this is not technology upgrade at all, it has another name but I do not know what it is called on internet community .</p>

<p>Again my friend, I honestly approciate your input and yes I will try more and more to learn and improve my self and I asure you that you will never find me posting an image which need tilting and shifting.</p>

<p>My best regards my friend .</p>

<p>Thank you my friend <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=323291">Dieter Schaefer</a>, I now understand that my lens have long time in the market and its time to have some thing better, just I am so sorry for my self, that I have rushed to buy it , I could have waited just for one month to buy the new one.<br>

70-200 is the real lens I did need urgent here, no one to plame, its my own fault and may be my own short thoughts and experinces which did count at the end of the day.<br>

Thank you again my friend, I did learn out of this thread because of my friends input, best regards my friend.</p>

<p>Nik Thailand is the distributor for Nikon in Thailand and I have a hard time believing they are taking advantage of the OP.  I've bought from them and had cameras and lenses serviced by them for over a decade and have never ever experienced or heard such a story.  Believe something is lost in translation, like the currency conversion rate. <br>

Cheers,<br>

Leo<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>السلام عليكم Rashed, you have many people following this discussion now. I hope that you are not spending all of your trip on this problem and are out seeing Amazing Thailand and taking pictures. I for one am really looking forward to seeing some of what you've shot on this trip and do hope that you will post to your favorite site (pbase, flicker, whatever) and let us here know when you have.<br>

Thanks very much<br>

Leo Laksi... I'm very glad to hear that. My statement was reactionary based on other experiences with other places. I failed to mention that I've had no first hand experience with Nik Thailand and for that I am sorry. If they are as you say than I am very happy for that. Mine was a general impression and I should have made that clear.</p>

<p>No problem "J". No harm no foul. <br>

Getting off the this topic just a bit. Sometimes prices for photo gear can be competitive in Thailand. You just have to know your prices pretty well. For example, I purchased a Nikkor 16mm f/2.8 fisheye today for about 100 USD less then the price at a well known NY-based web retailer in the US.<br>

Same with returns. I returned my first D700 after the electronics broke down after a couple of weeks use. The dealer gave me a new one in fifteen minutes. Of course not all retailers are created equal so you have to know who you can trust. <br>

Cheers, Leo</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My friend <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=5732861">J Williamson</a>, I do go out photography every day and by all means I have a great time, I have some very nice Thai friends and thay take me all over different places, I have posted many images since I came here on the photo.net and still posting more, I hope you like them my friend and thank you you been so gentle and kind.<br>

Best regards my friend and merray Christmas and a happy and peaceful New Year my friend.</p>

<p>My friend <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=5127498">Leo Laksi</a>, thank you a lot for your input, I love Thailand and having many friends here and they do take care of me by all means.<br>

Nik Thailand did sell me the F5 Battery Charger for 20000 Bat and two Barreries for 20000 Bat, total of 40000 Bat.<br>

I agree there is prices different from one place to another, but when the charger is sold on the net for not more than 150 USA dollars, I do have the right my friend to complain, the different is beyond beleive.<br>

I had many things bought from Nik Nikon, in the past, trusting them is not any more my friend but this is just me, I do have the receipt for what I bought and the prices clearly mentioned in them, if you are a Thai person my friend, you can refer to my friend , the owner of foto-ku station studio in Pattaya , he is my close friend and he will tell you that the price I paid is much above what that chrager cost.</p>

<p> The fault is mine , and I had to pay to learn,</p>

<p>Thank you my friend , I do approcaite your past experince with Nik Thailand and as I do approciate your input here, this way we all learn and help each other, I wish you all of the best my friend and happy new year to yours.</p>

<p>Rashed, I'm sorry that you're not satisfied with your equipment. I would LOVE to have a D3x and a fast 300mm f/2.8 VR lens, but they are a bit beyond my means. I do own the older 70-200 f/2.8 VR and I have found it to be an outstanding performer on all of my Nikon cameras, DX and FX alike.</p>

<p>Why is Nikon replacing these lenses? Well, for one thing, cameras like the D3X, the D3s, and whatever is coming next are going to put a lot of demands on lens performance. When the 70-200 f/2.8 VR was introduced, Nikon's best digital camera had a 6 megapixel sensor. Sensors have improved, so lenses have to keep up.</p>

<p>Why is Nikon replacing these lenses NOW? Well, the Winter Olympics are coming up. Nikon sports shooters will want the best possible telephoto lenses to use on their D3S and D3X bodies. Nikon is likely to sell large quantities of these lenses to sports photojournalists.</p>

<p>I have to say that perhaps your gear is not the problem. Perhaps you need to improve either your shooting technique or your post-processing skills. Have you thought about taking a Photoshop class? That might give you a new perspective as to what is possible with digital technology. You already OWN what is regarded as the best small-format DSLR on the market (the 18MP Leica is a rangefinder), so consider that maybe the problem lies elsewhere.</p>

<p>Here's a link to a fellow who uses the D3X and the lenses you mentioned with good results. He has a lot of tutorials on his site. Maybe you'll find some of the information useful.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.daveblackphotography.com">http://www.daveblackphotography.com</a></p>

<p>Good luck!</p>