What's limiting your photography?

roman_thorn1

<p>Having too much gear. Hard to focus if one has too many options. When I go out, I take one camera, and 2 lenses, though with my Crown Graphic, I only have one lens so far. I have six different cameras, 35mm F100, Digital D700, Mamiya 645AFDII, Bronica GS-1, Crown Graphic 4x5, and Cambo 4x5 monorail. I find it tough deciding which one I want to shoot with, so occasionally I'll take the Crown Graphic and one of the others.</p>

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I've also switched from Nikon to Canon because of lens 'niggles' but they are just that - niggles. The biggest obstacle by a long shot, to me taking better pictures is..... me. The David Baileys of this world could take pictures with more gravitas using a disposable camera than I can with the perfect high resolution sensor and fast prime in front of it. I would gladly exchange my gear (and more) for that ability. </p>

<p>This is a very interesting thread. I agree time is the biggest limiting factor for me. I have a full time day job and lots of pets and animals that need to be taken care of and I try to steal away just 30 minutes or 1 hour if I am lucky each day to go out and take pictures. Unfortunately this restriction of time also restricts my shooting locations to right around my house.<br>

I am fortunate enough to be living in a very beautiful area right next to two lakes with lots to take pictures of. Camera equipment has never and will never hold me back. However getting additional lenses or upgrading to a full frame camera would make getting some of the shots I want easier, even if I could get them perfectly fine now with just a little bit more patience and effort.</p>

<p>I agree with the following statement: Because I am one of those's ;</p>

<p ><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=1023831">Sven Felsby</a> <a href="/member-status-icons"></a>, Dec 12, 2009; 02:45 p.m.</p>

<p>The novice always blames the equipment.<br />Apart from that, I am limited by my laziness, that prevents me from getting my fat butt out in the morning at some nice locations</p>

<p>What limits my photography? A whole bunch of personality flaws, first and foremost. Also, I hate to say it, but my legs and a slew of other health issues do not allow me to go a bunch of places or do things that might also be helpful to my photography. But if that were the problem alone, it wouldn't stop me from doing it. As far as equipment, that's never been the limiting factor. I love having the nice gear, but never really needed it to do pretty much what ever I want to photography-wise.</p>

<p>I get tired of hearing that equipment doesn't count, that it's all about the photographer. If that was so we'd all be happy with P&S toys. Your desire, Roman, for better and more varied equipment is what drives this industry, and your voice should be heard. You may not be Nikon's primary audience but you are making your presence known. </p>

<p>I would be curious to hear what picture is impossible to do with a p&s and only able to be shot with an expensive DSLR?</p>

<p>There is a big difference between equipment not counting and equipment just making it easier to get the shots you want.</p>

<p>I have not run into a wall that my equipment just couldn't do I have however run into situations where my equipment dictates that I take a little bit more time and a little bit more effort to get the shot I want.</p>

<p>It is good to desire better equipment to make it EASIER to get the pictures you want. Don't think that better equipment will guarantee your ability to get those shots.</p>

<p>For me Kyle, it was the ability to get long range nature shots. No P&S ever came close to my 70-300 VR. Now I own a Sigma 150-500mm and it's even better. I wish I could afford a D700 for it's great high ISO ability in low light. No P&S gets close.</p>

<p>I haven't read the entire thread, but, here is my two cents...listen to Matt, get the Sigma 30 mm f1.4 HSM...a lovely lens, build and quality, fast and quiet. Then, stop worrying about the equipment and worry about you. Look at the world through new eyes, expand those eyes, see what you have never seen before and then use what you have, your equipment, to share it with the world.</p>

<p>What Richard just said. For me, my only limit to my photography is physics. Someday, I will learn to "feel" the right exposure/composition/balance, but I'll never overcome physics. I want a full DOF at 1:1 or greater with a macro lens so I can photograph all the amazing things I see through the lens, but won't transfer to a memory card. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon, so I'll concentrate on doing the best with what I have. That should keep me busy for the next 20 years or so.</p>

<p>"For me Kyle, it was the ability to get long range nature shots. No P&S ever came close to my 70-300 VR. Now I own a Sigma 150-500mm and it's even better. I wish I could afford a D700 for it's great high ISO ability in low light. No P&S gets close." Brian</p>

<p>I agree with you Brian SLR's make getting those shots easier but they are not impossible with p&s camera's. That was my point. The equipment doesn't stop you from getting the shots you want you just have to approach them differently when you are working with the equipment you have. Rather than busying yourself with hoping for the next best piece of equipment figure out how to squeeze the absolute best out of what you have.</p>

<p>I remember when I was taking painting classes in college and my teacher would limit us constantly to teach us this lesson. She would tell us to paint a portrait using only two colors and no black or white, or to paint a still life not of the object itself but only of its shadows. Limiting us did not prevent us from making a painting it just forced us to approach it from a different angle to get the effect we desired.</p>

<p>Your point is well taken Kyle. I spent a year and thousands of shots with my P&S before graduating to DSLR. Adversity can force you to get the most of what you have. However, poor equipment eventually stifles creativity. A young violinist may not have use for a Stradivarius but eventually the beginner instrument must give way to something better. I think you have the right perspective on this Kyle, I just take issue with those who say equipment doesn't matter. </p>

<p>There is no 1 single limit factor, but to me the biggest limiting factor is our way of thinking and seeing.<br>

Each person has his/her way of seeing, thinking, aesthetic values and pre-conceptions of objects that are to be captured at that particular point in time, which we collectively termed as "style". Subconsciously the photographer often explores within his style, but much less often outside it. The reason for the later is because the photographer could not see through the invisible boundary which himself/herself laid down.<br>

Would the arguement of equipment being the major limiting factor akin to :<br>

1. the availability of the types of colour, brushes and medium to painters , or<br>

2. the availability of 4 strings, and the awkward positioning of fingers required at difficult passage for violinists , or<br>

3. the limitation of English (or all language) to express human emotions and drama for Shakespear ?</p>

<p>Limits? Yes. Mostly from not knowing enough about things I would like to know more about and be better at, photographically speaking.</p>

<p>For my type of shooting, if I had the chops I would like to have, then my Zorki 3M + Jupiter 50/2 and some Tri-X would probably do me just fine. :)</p>