Do I need a camera cover this winter?

chris_duim

<p>Hi again. I will be travelling to Toronto and then NY in 3 days time (I'm from Southeast Asia) and was told that it has started snowing in Canada and the US. It will be my first time to bring a dSLR (Nikon D700) with the 24-70 mm f2.8 AFS and the 80-200 mm f2.8 ED AF for this trip.<br>

I read that water or rain (from snow) may seep into my camera and lenses but also read some posts that the 24-70 mm and the D700 are weather-sealed (I don't know if the 80-200 mm is weather-sealed). Does this mean I can safely use the camera and the wide-angle safely (without a protective covering) and shoot in the open with snow blowing around? How about my 80-200 mm? Or should I purchase a rain cover for the camera with attached lens and use it while it's snowing?<br>

I've read from the forum also that I can deal with condensation coming in from the cold to a warm environment by use of a ziplock with loads of silica gel. I already have this ready with me.<br>

Any help will be much appreciated.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>I would say don't worry about it. Snow isn't going to be a problem, especially out here on the East coast - it's cold enough that the snow won't melt on your camera, and judging by the amount of snow on the ground it doesn't look like it's going to rain anytime soon.</p>

<p>Chris, if you feel the need, I'd say, Tenba Rain Covers. They are very easy to use, and are small. Getting the right size would be important. I would imagine you would want a 14 or 18 inch; covers have to allow for twist and travel. The front end velcros onto a lens hood. The nylon rain covers work way better than the plastic bags because of durability and comfort.</p>

<p>I don't know if it is either, but as a 2.8 lens it should be pretty sturdy.<br>

I've used an 18-70 3.5-4.5 for a couple years up here, both in Vancouver and Montréal and have had no problems in both heavy rain and heavy snow.<br>

When it's cold enough outside for condensation to form on your camera when you come inside, the plastic bag idea is probably a good one.<br>

The other thing is - this isn't the North pole or anything. I think it's raining pretty heavily in NY, but the conditions aren't _that_ extreme.<br>

Best of luck and enjoy your trip!</p>