Softfocus filter and 70-200 2.8L

chito_baclig

It's pricey, but IMO the best soft-filter is the Zeiss Softar. You can get them from Heliopan or B+W and they run about $200 in 77mm size. I recommend the #2 strength for slight but noticeable softening; #1 is barely noticeable; #3 is quite noticeable. IMO the 70-200 is an excellent choice for a portrait lens with an SF filter.

Cheers,

There are plenty of other choices, but none will give as pleasing a result as the Softar. Tiffen's soft FX is not bad, but not great either, and runs around $60. Beyond that there is the Cokin line, but frankly the results are disappointing -- you can stretch Saran wrap over the front of the lens and get about the same result.

Hi Chito,

I strongly recommend Tallyn's series of soft filters (www.tallyns.com). They're similar to the Hasselblad softars without the extreme price (though they are not cheap). If you can't afford to buy the set of 4, I would suggest getting filters 2&3. I find that for tight portraits, I prefer the 3, and for larger groups, the 2 does nicely. I also love using the 3 in the darkroom.

Best of luck!

DsC