Canon Question: Getting the best bang for your buck

marcie m

<p>I have <$2500 to spend and an empty (digital) camera bag. I'm switching to Canon because I prefer the user interface and control set up of the digital Canons. I would prefer to use a full frame sensor camera, have a 10 megapixel or higher image. I will be shooting portraits professionally. I will need at least one but preferably two fast lenses. What are my choices?</p>

<p>Marcie,<br>

Usually lenses are the better buy than digital cameras that constantly 'improve'. In this case 'will be shooting portraits professionally' I recommend getting a refurb Canon 5D II at Adorama for $2399 and a 50mm 1.8 lens. That shoots your budget but gives you the best image quality in the Canon stable today. Save a little and buy the 85mm 1.8 or the 100mm 2.0 for great portrait lenses that will be your money makers. Portraits are some about camera and lens and a lot about light and poses, insight and sensitivity; the things that go on 3-4 inches behind the lens of whatever camera you have. Alternatively you could get a Canon 50D, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 VC zoom and a Canon 85mm 1.8 lens and a 580 EX II with diffuser that would cover nearly all your bases for approximately $2400-2500. In many instances unless you print very large you would not be able to tell much difference in the output. Good luck!</p>

Or check KEH.com for a used 5D (original, not mark II). Interestingly, a new Sony A850 costs less than a used 5D. With a full-frame DSLR, I would not use a 50/1.8 lens for portraits. Gil's other lens recommendations are excellent. The Tamron 90/2.8 macro also makes an excellent portrait lens.

<p>You'll see no difference in portrait prints between a 50D, 7D, and 5D mkII. You could probably throw the best Rebel and the 40D in that group as well. As a subject portraits do not stress system resolution, and are also one of the easiest subjects to enlarge. I've seen excellent, tack sharp and detailed 30" portrait prints from 6 MP DSLRs, where a 30" landscape print would be beyond such a sensor's ability to do really well. Incidentally, even on wide angle landscapes, possibly the most challenging subject, you would be hard pressed to see any real difference between a 7D and 5D mkII, but the near thousand dollars in savings would buy you a nice flash lighting setup.</p>

<p>You are far better off investing in glass and flashes than in full frame. Lighting will be far more important to your work than your camera body choice. Given your budget a 7D, 50 f/1.8, and two 430 EXII flashes with stands and some tools like umbrellas would let you do much, much more with portraits than one FF body and no flashes (not even a built in one!). And you could probably still squeeze in another lens (85 f/1.8) if you can go over budget a bit, especially if you find the flashes used.</p>

<p>Heck, if portraits are the single goal until you make enough money off portraits to expand your camera bag, I'm tempted to say get a 40D used, a two or three flash setup (430 EX II's to save money) with the ST-E2 transmitter, and two or three lenses. (I second the Tamron 17-50 choice if you need wide angle for group and environment shots.) When you make enough money add lenses, add a 7D, and add to your lighting (more accessories to control lighting and possibly higher power 580 EX II's or a strobe kit from someone like Alien Bees).</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>1Ds MkII, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree with Scott, although I've had focus issues with my copy of the 50/1.4.</p>

<p>But the 85/1.8 is excellent, and the precision and dependability of the 1DsII focus makes it the best choice in this price range for portraiture.</p>

<p>Alternatively,<br>

1Ds MkII from ebay at $1,700</p>

<p>85mm f1.8 new from B&H $370<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12182-GREY/Canon_2519A003_85mm_f_1_8_USM_Autofocus.html</p>

<p>50mm f1.4 new from B&H $360<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-GREY/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html</p>

<p>For a total of $2,430. Pretty good deal I'd say.</p>

<p>Or, seeing as how Marcie said 10+ megapixels how about this outside the box thought. The MkI 1Ds for $800 or so, that leaves plenty of money to get an 85mm f1.2L one of the great portrait lenses at around $1,000 for a MkI and $1,400 for a MkII (all ebay finished listings and sold prices). So $1,800 for a first class body that meets her spes, has top flight AF (I still use a MkI 1D for some work) etc and a world class portrait lens. That leaves $700. You can buy an awful lot of top quality gear for $700 if you are not a new gear addict.</p>

<p>The MkI 1D cameras are still amazingly good and for controlled light portraits I can't think of two better options.</p>