CaptureNX2 -- Apply more than one step to a single selection?

peterafle

<p>I am halfway through the trial period on NX2 -- so far, I really like it. However, there is one issue that I haven't been able to sort out so far.<br>

Is there a way to apply more than one action to a single selection? <br>

For example, if I select a subject's eyes, and I want to apply both a D-lighting adjustment to brighten the eye area AND unsharp mask to sharpen them up. Is there a way to apply both actions to the same selection? Or do I have to select the area again before applying the second action?<br>

Since getting the selection just right can be time consuming, it would be great if there was a way to avoid having to do that part twice...<br>

Sorry if this has been addressed; I did a search and didn't see anything.<br>

Thanks in advance for your help.<br>

Pete</p>

<p>see Linking Enhancements pg 149 of the users guide.</p>

<p>apply the first enhancement as you wish (along w/ selection). then, holding down the Shift key, select the next enhancement *from the menu/toolbar on top of the screen*. that will link them together.</p>

<p>Another approach: In the "step" column docked to the right hand screen area, right-click on the numbered header bar of the step that has the selection you want. Choose "Copy Adjustments" on that step.<br /><br />Then create a <em>new</em> step, right-click on the header bar for that step, and Paste Adjustments. That will bring the selection from the previous step, AND the changes from the previous step, over to the new one. Leaving the selection alone, just change the process/filter/effect/etc on the new step (say, to USM sharpening) and off you go. It will remove the adjustments on the new step, but retain the selection/mask. Works like a charm, and allows you to start with the selection from the previous step, while still having the ability to add/subtract from that mask in the new step.</p>

<p>I think the preferred way to do it is whatever way you <em>like</em>. I think the big difference between your method and mine is the ability to modify the mask on the second step. But there are plenty of times you wouldn't want to do that, in which case your method is cleaner.</p>

<p>I have found Mike Hagen's book "Nikon Capture NX 2 After The Shoot" very helpful in getting up to speed quickly using NX2. It has lots of screen shots that help you understand what is being taught quickly (a picture is worth a thousand words). Mike provides a lot of "why" explanations which helped me to remember things better. His "this is what I use" settings gave me a place to start so I didn't get bogged down not knowing what to try first. I also took his Capture NX2 class through the Nikonians Academy ( <a href="http://www.nikoniansacademy.com/" target="_blank">http://www.nikoniansacademy.com</a> ) which was worth every penny.<br /> <br /> Here is a link to the NX2 book if you are interested:<br /> <br /> <a href="http://www.outthereimages.com/publishing.html" target="_blank">http://www.outthereimages.com/publishing.html</a></p>

<p>Is it possible to selectively apply exposure compensation using a mask in CNX2? For example, if you have a harsh light scene with the shadows and midtones sorted out OK but the sky is blown though recoverably - can you dial down exposure compensation on it, or do you need to make two conversions and some type of HDR blending?</p>

<p>>...a curves or brightness or color adjustment<br>

I am specifically interested in local adjustment of Exposure Compensation, not brightness, the two don't do exactly the same thing.<br>

Can a decrease of brightness recover blown highlights (assuming that they are recoverable, that is that the raw data is not blown, and that the apparent blowedness is due to you lifting the shadows/midtones)? <br>

With ViewNX I've noticed that it can only process a limited range of input dynamic range at once - so if you have a carefully exposed NEF with a harsh light scene and you want to bring the shadows up and compress the highlight you get a much better result with multiple conversions and HDR blending than with a single conversion. I'd like to know if the CNX2 local manipulations operate within the same resticted input DR range, or does this really do away with the need for multiple conversions.</p>