Canon film camera w/ EF mount?

mark_burmeister

<p>Hi, I'm currently looking for a Canon film camera with an EF mount. I have a 5d mkii and would like to be able to use all of my accessories on the film camera. I assume that at a minimum, I would want something like the Elan 7ne/30v since it would support the ETTL ii flash. I won't be using the camera extensively so I don't want to spend too much. Any opinions out there? </p>

<p>All Canon EOS SLRs have an EF mount.</p>

<p>Couldn't agree more though with the EOS-3 recommendation. Top of my head though, don't know if it supports ETTL II flashes. The 550EX was new at the time of the EOS 3. The 3's manual is specific though on full E-TTL support.</p>

<p>I bought an EOS 3 to compliment my 5D Mark 1. What a great camera! I wish my digital had some of the features that the EOS 3 has--ECF and DEP as examples. The focus is FAST. I really like the camera and recommend it with only one reservation. If you shoot where quietness is a premium, this is not the camera for you. The shutter trips are noisy.</p>

<p>The EOS 3 supports E-TTL, not E-TTL II.</p>

<p>The Elan 7/7E supported E-TTL; the 7N/7NE supported E-TTL II. I had the 7E and never used the 7N/7NE, so I can't compare them from personal experience, but from what I've read in places like this, on a film body, the difference between E-TTL and E-TTL II was not really a big deal.</p>

<p>Elan 7Ne is an extremely good camera. I've been using one extensively and i can find nothing negative to say about it. But, when using the Eye Controlled Focusing, you must be sure to calibrate it correctly, or else it will not work to your liking. the only drawback that i have had with this camera is that Canon does not make a drive booster for it, so you are left with just a simple batter pack with no speed dial, when holding the camera horizontally. I did think seriously about buying an EOS 3, but if i were to go in that direction, I decided to save my pennies and go for a Canon EOS 1V-HS...</p>

<p>If you don't want to spend a lot at all, the Elan 7 or 7N is a superb choice and the quietest camera that Canon makes. If you're going to spend more, the EOS 3 is certainly a great choice but if you're going to go that route and buy a camera that complex, I'd lay out a little more cash and get the 1v, Canon's greatest camera, which sells for obscenely low prices now.</p>

<p>Mark, if I were you I'd pick up a 3 or a 1V (or both, like I actually did!). They're so ridiculously inexpensive these days, it would be a shame to settle for anything less than one of the very best EOS film bodies. Also, if spot metering is of any use to you, these bodies of course have it, but the Elans don't.</p>

<p>I have a 3 and can vouch for everything that has been said so far. brilliant machine.<br>

It does have E-TTL metering, but the 1V is no better in this regard.<br>

The differences between E-TTL and E-TTL II are slight, and even then are dependent on having one of the few EF lenses that actually transmits focus distance to the body.<br>

Both are light years ahead of the A-TTL system and I would be content with either version of E-TTL.<br>

I also have 300X (Rebel K2 i think...) which has a surprisingly good spec for a budget body..<br>

top 1/400th, control over focus mode (one shot, ai servo) independently of the PIC end of the dial, some useful custom functions and is cheaper than chips, it has E-TTL2, and weighs nothing at all. <br>

The only practical downside for me is the relatively slow flash synch.<br>

The Elans do have spot metering, actually. And the price difference between the 3 and the 1V is still enough to warrant consideration, especially if the body is only for occasional use.<br>

If you want a pro body get a 3 (be warned you may want to ditch your 5D for a 1D after using the pro interface) if you want E-TTL and something compact, get the the300x.</p>