What if there is a "cleave" mark in Lens?

kl122007

<p>I'm not sure what you mean by a cleave. Do you mean a linear gouge?</p>

<p>At any rate, if it was my lens I'd mount it on a body and shoot a roll under various conditions of lighting and at various apertures. Use a slow film so you'll have enough shutter speed range to open up even in daylight. Try some shots into strong light sources to check for flare and scattering. A lens hood appropriate for focal length may help in side lighting. Effects of a gouge in the front element of a lens can be reduced by application of a matte black paint into the damage. Actual testing should provide a real picture of the lens usefulness for your applications.</p>

<p>Shoot it and see. I have an old 127mm Wollensak Velostigmat, pre-coating so guessing early 1940's lens, that I got on a beat up old wood Spped Graphic lens board that looked like someone was using it as a dart board. Seriously; it had what look very much like dart point hits. And looks like one hit the lens. Bullseye ! I bought the lens for the shutter parts (Supermatic #2) . But I got the shutter working so good I tried the lens and it is a real nice shooter and I've posted images made with it here as I keep it mounted on a Miniature Speed Graphic of a similar vintage. Absolutely no problem with mine, but I do use a lens shade with these old lenses as a rule whenever possible to avoid flaring. </p>