O.T. U.S.B. Connections

Adding a New u.s.b. appliance to My Computer required addition of an

additional u.s.b. port. Dealer provided a Four Port Addition powered

by Transformer. Screen told me it couldn't provide enough power forDSL

modem. Tried an adapter like a cube with a shielded cord, supposed to

make Four Extra adapters. Still inop. Finally had to install a PCI

board with Two extra ports which works fine. My question is if USB

attachments come in Primary and Secondary Types, and why didn't the

Two Previous type adaptors work? (They checked out fine mechanically!)

Bill Gates seems to think that over 120 usb devices can be powered by

USB. Using a 400 Watt P.S. Appreciate info for comp. neophyte. Pete H.

Glen, if I had been responsible for the screw up with the USB Ports, I would have agreed, but, the computer went to the shop, where both technicians have degrees in computer maintenance etc from the local college, and they seem pretty well clued in. It most certainly was not user error,I flew a lot of heavy tin turkeys and I may be a lousy photographer, but I can, (after 24,000 hrs) put a plug in a hole, and I hold British and Canadian A&E Licences. Any other ideas? Pete H

I have several devices running off an exeternally powered seven port USB hub, and some of them require their own power supplies in addition to the hub's supply. Furthermore, I have been unable to get my Palm to connect via the hub, which is annoying. The whole thing is more complicated than it seems, and you are not alone in your frustration. Beyond that, I can't help, I'm afraid. Anyway, it seems you've solved your problem, on a desktop by your description. It's more annoying with a laptop when you have to constantly plug and unplug devices.

The Bell South DSL Modem would not function in either of the "add on"

devices. It constantly showed that it needed more power. The device that was added was an Intel Camera! It would not function in either of the add on devices- all of the Four Ports were inop. Another usb device was added and it functioned well in all Four Ports. The addition of the pci cards seems to have solved the problem. I use a 400W PS and am not the only affected computer in the area. It seems that there are Two Types of devices, Primary and Secondary. Pete H