D300 colour cast issues

stephen_lilley

<p>Hi , I know related questions to this have been asked before, please bear with me. I recently upgraded to a D300 from a D200 and am having problems with inaccurate colour /hue renditions. I shoot mainly birds, often not in ideal light. I shoot in raw, not usually higher than 800 iso. I have used Auto WB as well as dialling in values. I have tried all the" picture control" settings, all produce similar effects, though some are obviously more saturated than others. With my D200 the images colour wise were nearly always on the button, out of the camera. I have alternated between srgb/argb with little effect. I have alternated between Adobe PS elements and NX2 for editing with little effect. I can arrive at a satisfactory image with editing, usually it involves changing the white balance and/or the Hue slider, the only problem with this is that I have to know/remember the colour of my subject. What is puzzling is that images in the camera LCD and images in the browser pre editing look totally different(with regard to colour) and much more accurate, but as soon as I open them in edit the issue becomes apparent. I have noted that reds are particularly affected.Has anybody had similar issues? <br>

Regards Stephen</p>

<p>Steven the first question to ask is : how do you evaluate the color and WB accuracy of your images? Are you going by numbers or looking at a computer screen or looking at prints?</p>

<p>Color "issues" can only be analyzed if the complete workflow is considered. So details on at least one workflow that shows an issue would be needed.</p>

<p>Let me guess and assume that you base your observations on how the images look on your monitor? Is your monitor calibrated and are you using a pro grade monitor?</p>

<p>Can you provide example images?</p>

<p>The D200 has a CCD sensor, the D300 has a CMOS sensor. I noticed the D300 was warmer than the D80 I upgraded from, and for the most part I preferred the D300. The D200 was more neutral than the D300, but I never thought the D300 was less accurate. You may want to work with ProPhotoRGB in your RAW conversions and see if that helps. I assume you are using AdobeRGB?<br>

Samples would be most helpful.</p>

<p>"He changed camera's, not monitors."<br>

Interesting - if you change a camera this will calibrate your monitor?</p>

<p>Seriously - I noticed that. If one evaluates images on a monitor that is off then there is no way of telling what the problem is or if there is any problem.</p>

<p>Hmmm -- I moved from a D200 to a D300 for just that reason — but the other way around.</p>

<p>I was unhappy with the white balances I was getting from the D200 and was always corrected them post-.</p>

<p>With the D300, I am finding them much closer to what my eye wants right out of the box.</p>

<p>I wonder how much variation there is on this from sample to sample — how much are bodies like lenses in this variable.</p>