ummm ok? (usage question)

missy_kay

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I agree with what Nadine has said.<br>

Some of my images were submitted to a magazine a few weeks ago and I had to sign that to the best of my knowlede images from that wedding had not been published elsewhere including magazines, online / blogs (excluding my own).<br>

I would be upset if a "guest" at a wedding where I was the hired photographer were to compromise me being able to have my images published in a magazine.<br>

I'm not sure why so many other photographers here don't feel the same way.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So why you, a moderator, would keep saying that the way I handled it "wasn't the high road" IS UNACCEPTABLE</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A bit of admin clarification, Nadine having an opinion that is contrary to yours, contrary to mine (I'm the guy who runs this site), or even contrary to every single other person on a thread does not make a breech of her duties as a moderator. She is welcome to her opinion and as long as she is not using her position as a moderator to (for example) delete posts that do not agree with her, there is no problem.</p>

<p>Unlike many other photography forums, our moderators typically have a lot of experience in the field of the forum that they moderate. Nadine's experience crafts her opinions and those opinions need to be respected as much as anyone's opinions (including yours). In this case, she thinks the "high road" would have been doing something other than the path that you took. While I don't agree with Nadine overall in this particular instance, I do respect her opinion as someone who has done many weddings and is very successful in her field. Being a moderator has no bearing on the situation and you need to understand and accept that.</p>

<p><em>I'm the guy who runs this site</em><br />That's awesome! lol, now I feel kind of cool that you responded :)<br />(I love the little crown on your admin icon yay!)<br />To clarify, I was upset with Nadine because I chose the path of non-reaction. I didn't go off the handle the way I could have and have accepted the situation at hand. So why she thought I was handling it the wrong way and saying that I didn't take "the high road" is pretty ridiculous considering I essentially didn't take any road.</p>

<p><br />I didn't argue with the blog moderator after her final decision, and I didn't do those other options as per listed above. The only thing I have done is respond in this forum regarding my rights as a photographer. Like I said way up in the post, I have accepted things and realized I cannot fight a big studio such as this. The only thing I can do is to feel flattered that they would feel so threatened by me in my first year of wedding photography. I hope to have a good future ahead of me. And I don't see why I would have "burned bridges" as Nadine said, the blog said they were actually sorry for what happened and they would like me to submit in the future.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/10300571">http://www.photo.net/photo/10300571</a></p>

<p>I agree with many of Nadine's points. However, if the hired photographers waived their exclusivity clause and allowed Missy Kay to shoot, out of professional courtesy, then I believe respecting their right to publish would be more than fair.<br>

I'm not so sure that they "feel threatened" by this. From the look of their website it appears that they are well established and doing quite well.</p>

<p>I'm actually going to close this thread. There really isn't much more to say about the topic.</p>

<p>And to be honest, I'm not real excited about this turning from a discussion about an unknown studio to being about a specific studio that has started to be identified. That doesn't do anyone any good in the long run. It's one thing to talk about something in theory, it's quite another to use a forum like this in a way that identifies someone specifically. So I'm going to remove some names from the thread and leave it as anonymous as possible.</p>

<p>Interesting subject, good lesson for many people (particularly beginner shooters), and overall everyone was able to state their case in a very civil fashion. But I do not want to see the thread go any further towards attacking this studio personally. That's not what we are about here.</p>

<p>I thank you all for posting, but it's time to move onto another topic.</p>