Had lens serviced, now oil all over the blades

Ian Rance

<p>In April I had my 24mm f2.8 N.C lens serviced. This lens was over 30 years old, and whilst it worked fine the focus was dry and rough. I sent it to Luton Camera Repair and they did a full service (which included 'polishing' the aperture blades). The lens came back working smoothly (albeit with a few more dots of dust than it went in with) and I have used it for some projects with success.</p>

<p>Last night I glanced inside it and saw the aperture blades were all quite wet with oil. They are not jammed at all, but if you look, you can see the oil moving around on them as you work the aperture.</p>

<p>So, now I am wondering what to do. Is this something the repairers have done, or can this happen any time? Why would the blades suddenly go oily? Is it worth having it repaired again, or would it be a good move to get the latest 24mm AF-D and give up on the N.C?</p>

<p>Thank you for your thoughts.</p>

<p>Yes Ronald - I had six months, but now that is over. Before I ring and start discussing this issue I want to try to understand what could have happened. If it is 'just one of those things that could happen anytime' then I would not even suggest they do the work for free or discount, but if it something they have done (don't know what) then I would push them for help.</p>

<p>Bjorn, my NC has heavy coating marks so perhaps moving to a new lens may be prudent, however I am a bit upset as the NC worked fine otherwise. I don't think I want to spend any more on it though (service already cost me $100). I don't think I want to send a lens off for service again.</p>

<p>That's really odd. Lens iris blades are intended to run completely dry. Some techs even advise against using a dry power lube like graphite or moly dust.</p>

<p>And a good grease shouldn't liquefy this quickly - it should take many years for grease to begin to break down, if it does at all. I've serviced some of my own lenses and use a grease that is very resistant to migrating.</p>

<p>If you're reasonably handy with small tools you might want to tackle this one yourself. Take a look at <a href="http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/">Rick Oleson's website</a> for tips. There are also a few other sites with illustrations and tips for DIY lens maintenance.</p>