Which 45 degree prism for 203FE?

julian_love

<p>Hi. Having rented a 503CW for the last few weekends to "get back into" film, I've just picked up a beautiful 203FE and 110 f/2 Planar. I was wondering what the best 45 degree prism for this camera would be?<br>

My research suggests my options are the PM5, PM51, PM45 or PME 45. But what I am not sure about is:<br>

- As I have metering in the body, I'm assuming I do not need to get a metered prism...but will I still be able to see the metering display in the viewfinder with a non-metering prism attached?<br>

- Is there any benefit to getting a metered prism (other than being able to get metering on a 500 series body)?<br>

- Which of these prisms aids focusing the most? With the 110 f/2 DOF is extremely narrow when shooting wide open portraits, so a prism that aids with critical focusing would be a big benefit.<br>

Thanks, Julian</p>

<p>The best prism is the waist level finder -- it is the lightest, the brightest, and the highest magnification that still allows you to see the whole image. If you must have a 45 degree prism, I would go for the PM-5 -- it has the highest magnification of all the prisms that work on the 203, though it is still lower and darker than the waist level finder. There is not much reason to get a metered prism, but the pme-45 has an incident meter as well, so if you want an incident reading, that might be convenient. </p>

<p>Trouble is that with the waist level finder you do not see the display of the 203 FE until you fold out the loupe. For me this is the major quirk of this camera. I prefer to use the latest type magnifying hood HM2 with the 203 FE which allows precise focussing and gives the brightest viewfinder image possible. If you prefer 45° viewing the PM 45 is a good choice, especially for eyeglass wearers.<br>

Ulrik</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in a prism as I find it quite slow to compose shots when shooting hand held with the WLF due to the reversed image - I keep moving the camera in the wrong direction. Also, for head and shoulder portraits it would be useful to be able to shoot at eye-level.<br>

Q: If I get a non-metered prism, will I still be able to see the metering readout in the 203?</p>

<p>You will see the meter readout of the camera on all prism finders that have a cutout: PM-45, PME-45, PME-51, PME-5, PM-5, PM-90, PME-90. You cannot use older prism finders without this cutout on a Hasselblad 203 FE.<br>

Ulrik</p>

<p>Julian</p>

<p>If you plan to have a 5xx body at a later time , you should think of getting a metered prism .<br>

You would not need this prism on the 203FE of course , but you will then be happy to have it for the 5xx body.<br>

One buy for two cameras .<br>

Jürgen</p>

<p>In order to see the meter display, you need a finder marked with two blue lines. All of those you mention will work, from the PM5 on. The PM5 and 51 (metered) have 3x magnification, whereas the newer PM45 and PME45 (metered) have 2.5x and an adjustable eyepiece. You need to change eyepieces in the PM5x prisms for diopter correction (readily available used).</p>

<p>Prism finders are by far the brightest and easiest to use. You see the image clearly from corner to corner, which you cannot do with a WLF unless you use it at waist level, subject to all the light spill from the surroundings. A WLF has 4.5x magnification, greater than any other viewer, and is handy for focusing open aperture shots. It is easy to carry, but compared to a prism it is closer to a "waste" level finder for routine use.</p>

<p>Wow, those are harsh words Edward. I think that it really depends on your photographic style. I have both a PM-5 and a waist level finder for the 203FE. I do not have glasses or vision problems and have no problems seeing the edges of the image with the WLF and the loupe. You just need to put your eye right up next to the loupe. I use the WLF with the magnifier for 99.9% of my photography with the camera. The 45 degree prism makes the camera awkward to hold, as well as bulkier, heavier and less accurate to focus. In practical use, you are only holding the 45 degree finder a few inches higher than you are with the waist level finder -- I find it does not make much of a difference. I think you may find that you get used to the inversion of left and right very quickly...at least I did. The 203FE with the 45 degree prism does not feel natural in the same way as it does with the WLF -- the ergonomics were designed around the WLF, and the prisms to me feel like some weird extra appendage. Anyway, it really is to each their own I guess. </p>