Is the D300/D90 IQ worth an upgrade from D80

david_love2

<p>I have a small portrait studio in my home. I have done several "no charge" portraits sessions for friends and work associates and have now started getting referrals and paid sessions. I use a D80, set at iso 100, on a tripod ( huge, originally used for my Mamiya 645) a medium sized softbox, an sb800 and sb600 for fill/hairlights. I am very satisfied with my lighting. My studio lenses are the 50mm 1:4af, 85mm 1:4af and 105mm f2:8af vr. I only use the D80 in the studio, on the tripod, with the lites described. I am not looking for better build, faster AF, ergonomics etc. This is only for my portrait studio use. I have done two weddings and they came out fine, but weddings are not my cup of tea. My question is..will I see an improvement in image quality, with enlargements up to 16x20, if I upgrade my D80 to the D90 or D300. Look forward to your replies.</p>

<p>Perhaps. A bit. That's roughly the same as going from the D200 to the D300 (which I've done), and while I'd certainly reach for the D300 any time I have the choice, I actually leave the D200 in the studio for product shots and whatnot, because there I've got tons of light, and can shoot at ISO 100. It still produces very nice images - and you've got the lenses to make the most of that, for sure.<br /><br />I'd wait around for a used D700, if I were going to change from what you're doing. If you need a backup, a remanufactured D90 would be a good bet, since it uses the same memory cards as your D80, and shares similar control layout and behavior. Of course the D300 and D90 have wildly better LCD displays - but I don't know how much chimping you do in the studio.<br /><br />If your 16x20 images are well exposed and benefitting from the good technique and lenses it sounds like you're using ... then I'd wait. If anything, I'd put money into better strobes and modifiers, since that's where the action is.</p>

<p>Depending on what you need from the camera, the D80 is already a very capable camera if used with care (shoot NEF, etc). The D300 would be the logical upgrade (I think the D90 is rather a lateral move from the D80 and not really worth it) from the D80 in my opinion. Unless you really need to shoot at high ISOs on a regular basis, I would not change to FX format (I find the image quality on the D300 at ISO 200 just as good as the D700, if not a little better). </p>

<p>Matt/Dave: thanks for your advice. I have read many of both your responses to other posts and have respect for your knowledge and willingness to share this. I think my next upgrade will be another strobe ( I have a honeycomb grid & reflectors already) and continue with the D80. On another note, as my preference is to shoot with film, (almost all my outside photography is b&w film that I develop myselft) I think I will slowly work a medium format camera into this formula as well. Thanks again.</p>

<p>i'd say no. megapixel diff. is negligible. the main difference in IQ is the different sensor types--D80 uses CCD, while D300 uses CMOS--and processor. D300 has better AF and AWB, also low-light ability is better, which doesnt matter if you are using strobes for studio portraits. some people actually prefer the CCD look to the CMOS look. as far as enlargements, if you are shooting at base ISO on a 10mp CCD sensor, 16x20 should be fine -- 12mp CMOS at base iso of 200 wont be any less noisy and may be more.</p>

<p>instead of a new body, it might make more sense to invest in lenses. maybe the 135 DC/2 since you already have the 50/1.4, the 105 VR and the 85/1.4.</p>

<p>I recently moved from a D80 to a D300s, and I certainly wouldn't recommend a switch for Low-ISO IQ. For fast-moving subjects and low-light shooting, the D300's been a pleasant upgrade, but at base ISO, the IQ is just <em>different</em> , not better. Maybe spend the money on a bigger studio. ;)</p>

<p>Eric/Thomas/Pen: thanks as well to your responses. It is good to have so much input that all agree on. Even though I have been pleased with my later work, it is important to me to know that I am providing the best possible results I can. I have also been sending my recent sessions to a (real) pro lab. They really made a difference in the prints of my work. I am looking forward to see what new lights/modifiers will be under the tree for me this year. Thanks to all!</p>

<p>Its really good practise to use a tripod or camera stand in a studio or any other time when a tripod is practical. If one was shooting a series of product shots for a company say a line of a soft drinks for a drinks company all the bottles are the same size and shape only the lables and the color of the contents change it is much easier to shoot with using camera stand and just swap the bottles over for each shot rather trying reframe each shot exactly the same hand holding the camera.</p>

<p>Mark: when I first set up my studio, I was using a Mamiya 645 Pro. As the 645 is manual focus, the tripod made it easier to position and focus the camera. Also, the sync speed is only 1/60 on the 645. I just got used to using the tripod. I use the D80 tethered to a laptop, and have already accidently unplugged the tether while moving around. The tripod helps to slow me down a bit, and, I know that the results will be as sharp as I can get it.</p>