Hasselblad 80mm C DOF Switch Problem

mark_farrell

<p>I just recieved a Hasselblad 501C kit from an ebay purchase and have been prodding and poking everything to get a feel to how it functions. The camera looks like new and supposedly there was a CLA done on the 80mm lens in Nov. 09. One of the functions I've tried is the switch that stops the lens down to view the DOF the aperature is set at. It does stop down properly, but depressing the lower part of the switch does not unlatch it as mentioned in the manual. I can however unlatch it by pulling up slightly on the switch. It just doesn't seem to cantilever enough to unlatch. Is this a common occurance and is it a simple adjustment/fix to make it correct? I likely can live with it the way it is as I tend to rely more on the lens DOF markings more than what I can't see well in a viewfinder, but it's nice to have everything working properly.<br>

Thanks.....</p>

<p>One thing you have to be sure of when you depress the little lever between the "Synchro" and "Compur" is that you are not at <em>maximum aperture</em> when you do it as it will not move past the little bit of free-play<em>.</em> Stop the lens down to at least f/4 before depressing the button. Of course, if you go all the way back to f/2.8, it automatically disengages the depth of field preview.</p>

<p>I really wish Blad had retained the sliding depth of field indicators to the CF lenses. I have two C's and two CF's. Both of my CF's are wide angle (40mm and 60mm Distagons) and it would really to set the hyperfocal distance more accurately with the sliders, especially at larger apertures.</p>

<p>From the description, it sounds like a modern "C" lens, not a "Synchro Compur" "C" lens.</p>

<p>Pushing the bottom part should indeed release the switch.<br>

From your description, it would appear not, but i'll ask anyway: could it be that your are pushing up, instead of towards the barrel?</p>

<p>It is not unknown for the lever to dislodge (not very common, but it happens). This sounds rather like something opposite. Yet, just like fixing a dislodge lever, i don't think it is a big job.<br>

If you can live with it as it is, you could wait until the lens goes in for general service. Yet, having to release it in a non-standard way may be the preamble to a bigger problem. Hard to judge. </p>

<p>Yes it is a current "C" lens. I have been pushing towards the barrel at the bottom of the switch. It just doesn't appear to have enough inward travel to allow a catch to disengage. Disengages fine if I lift the top slightly. <br>

Are there any threads in the forum that would be helpful in pointing out other functions and operations to check on a used Hasselblad that's new to me. I did run a "sacrificial" very outdated roll of film through it to check the winding mechanism.</p>