220 film in A12 back

steve_kraft

<p>Hello,<br>

Let me begin by saying that if i've not searched properly and this is a duplicate thread, please forgive me and point me in the right direction.<br>

This is concerning the Hasselblad A12 back designed for 120 film. I've read up on numerous websites that the 'old' style 12 shot 120 magazines can use 220 film, if the window is blocked. I'm using a more modern A12 back, and there is no hole to lift up and count the frames with. Can 220 film be used in these backs / magazines? If so, once you get to the 12th shot, how to you reset it so you can finish shooting the rest of the roll?<br>

Many thanks,<br>

_S</p>

<p>The problem indeed is how to reset the counter. Cannot really be done on A12 magazines.<br>

You could try resettiing the counter the regular way, by pulling the insert out. Has to be done in complete darkness of course.<br>

After that, you will to keep track of the frame count yourself, since the magazine will first be 'counting' nothing for a few frames, before the number 1 reappears in the counter window.</p>

<p>Spacing will be a problem too, with frames beginning to overlap from (about) frame 8 upwards (and again later.</p>

<p>The pressure plate however is <em><strong>not</strong></em> a problem. All it does is push the film into the poper position. It does that equally well with 120 and 220 film.<br>

Accordingly, the inserts for both types of magazine A12 and A24 (the things the pressure plate is part of), are exactly the same. No need for different parts, or different callibration. The only difference between the two types of magazine is in the counter and spacing mechanism.</p>

<p>As always, thanks for the clarification QG and all the pertinent info.<br>

Vick, how much is <em><strong>cheap</strong></em>, the 220 mags usually go for cheaper but it seems magazine prices have gone up a bit lately.</p>

<p>What are they bringing these days?</p>

<p>Q.G. is right on, but maybe even a little pesimistic...I have 5 120 mags and one 70mm mag in my kit and paid less than $50 for each within the past year. A little patience will bring you good magazines at a very reasonable price. Some of mine came from eBay and some came as "bargain" grade from KEH.</p>