Getting Noticed

robert_g.2

<p>I know that many have had their photos show up in magazines, have won awards, etc....<br>

Is this usually just a matter of applying for many awards, emailing local magazines, papers, etc...?<br>

What's the best way to "get noticed" so that my photos get out there?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>when i lived in NYC, I applied to some ads looking for photographers. It was on CL. I didnt think I would get it, but thought if I didnt try - I would never know.</p>

<p>I did get it :) </p>

<p>Apply to many things, contests, etc. Just be sure to read the fine print. Some say they own the pic even after you don't "win". Be careful.</p>

Photography is an enormous and diverse business; there is no one approach that will work for everyone, but there are

some basic steps to get pointed in the right direction. The first thing you should do is work as many abstract, vague

terms as you can out of your goal. For instance, there is no 'out there' there are only people, some of whom might

license and assign photography. Among those there is a smaller subset who might share an interest in the kind of work

you want to do. If you continue this process until you've identified individuals, you will have narrowed the scope of your

problem to a manageable dimension.

The closest thing to 'out there' is a website. I didn't see one listed in your profile, but it is a requirement starting out in

most areas of photography today. It will be one of the first things people want to see and it is one of the most cost-

effective ways to reach an audience. But even this doesn't get your images 'out there' in a useful sense. You still need to

identify your market and get your website in front of specific eyes.

<blockquote>

<p>What's the best way to "get noticed" so that my photos get out there?</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />Robert,</p>

<p>What do you mean "out there" and who do you want to "Notice" you?</p>

<p>I ask because getting "noticed" in art fairs or contests is not the same as getting noticed in<br>

commercial photography or assignment shoots etc...</p>

<p>Robert,<br>

1.) Globally, the Web is a good place to "get noticed". I've been publishing photos to the Web since '97.<br>

My assortment of over 500 accurately captioned <a href="../photodb/member-photos?user_id=215599">stock images</a> here on photo.net (most of them likely found via <a href="http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en">Google Image Search</a> have sold many times and have appeared in numerous publications and Web sites.</p>

<p>Read more about this on <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=215599">my profile page</a> .</p>

<p>I strongly urge you to become a paying photo.net member and start uploading, with accurate captions and keywords. This forum and the others like it help <em>so many</em> photographers, like you!</p>

<p>I put <a href="../photo/7540817&size=lg">contact info in the borders of all my photos</a> so that potential buyers can contact me about usage rights. Without contact info on the picture, nobody will call!</p>

<p>I also maintain a <a href="http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography/0E87EFD1-F134-480A-898A-4950273A1352/1/James%20Harrington.html">stock photo portfolio</a> at Alamy.</p>

<p>Print sales are starting to pick up at my <a href="http://harrington.zenfolio.com/">Photos for Sale</a> site at Zenfolio.</p>

<p>2.)To get noticed on a local level, contact your area's chamber of commerce and offer your photography services. Consider donating prints for hanging in your local library or govt buildings.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Robert,<br>

Do you have a Website or a Blog? If not, that is a good place to start. From there, I recommend that you sign up with facebook. You will get lot's of exposure there. You will have to be active with it just like anything else.<br>

You can take a look at my facebook Business Fan Page here: http://www.facebook.com/SherriMeyerPhotography.<br>

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.<br>

Sherri</p>