Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 and EOS 5D mkII?

angel_bocanegra

<p>I got an opportunity to play with the nikon d3 and nikkor 14-24 f2.8 lens a while back ago. I got a beautiful 11x17 landscape print that I ordered from adoramapix on kodak endura silk paper. Absolutely love it, even sold it to a family member that had to have it. Ever since I have been lusting over that lens. Even rented the ef 14mm f2.8 II, was disappointed.</p>

<p>So I am seriously considering taking the plunge, and purchasing this lens to use with an adapter. I have searched and there are many options. I recently noticed that an article of popular photography about shooting landscapes, the photog used the nikkor 14-24 f2.8 and a 5d2. My question is what would be a good adapter to use, and will auto focus work?</p>

<p>Another option I have been contemplating is the ts-e 17mm, but I much prefer the zoom and the 14mm range along with the fast f2.8. Damn Canon, why wont they make something like that!</p>

<p>I know there is an easy way around the fact that it is a "G" lens, just can't remember. A search here will get you the answer.</p>

<p>I have a Nikon 14/2.8 that I used to use on a 10D before switching to full frame F-mount body. If I had the money I'd be very tempted by the Canon 17 TS-E. I shot with a Canon FD 17mm for 15 years so I could accept the narrower angle for the incredible ability to correct verticals in architectural and landscape photography. If you place the horizon anywhere but the centre of a 14mm lens you create very noticeable converging perspective in vertical trees that gets very disturbing as you tilt the camera even more. At least consider it.</p>

<p>It is by all accounts a great lens. I don't think the lack of AF is a very important issue, although it is more significant at the 24mm end. Personally, despite the excitement, I do feel that this lens is quite specialized. Only some people need frequent use of a lens wider than say 24/21, and given this frequency of use the 14-24 is a behemoth and very expensive (especially if you add in the cost of the EOS-G adapter). Admittedly the alternatives are not exactly cheap or particularly small either. My advice would be to really think about it. You previously asked about the 16-35mm which strikes me as a much more useful and versatile lens, even if its performance is not as good. I would like a super wide myself, but I would never consider buying the Nikon, I would be more likely to buy the new VC 20mm or the fine Canon 15mm fisheye - both are much smaller and a quarter the price of the 14-24mm.</p>

<p>I also happen to think the 17mm TSE is very specialized too - good for renting, but not necessary to actually buy for most people.</p>

<p>Another thing is that I feel certain that Canon will produce a 14-24 equivalent. I doubt they will leave this segment alone now that Nikon have got so much good publicity with theirs.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>A couple thoughts... you don't really need a fast aperture lens for landscape shooting. Also, you can't use a polarizer or ND grad filters with the 14-24, which would be a deal breaker for me. 11x17 is not that big of a print, I doubt you could see much difference between the 14-24 and the Canon 16-35/17-40 at that size.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>“Also, you can't use a polarizer or ND grad filters with the 14-24, which would be a deal breaker for me.”</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Apparently Lee have been working on a <a href="http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Lee-Filters-holder-for-Nikons-1424mm-f28-wideangle-lens-12507">solution</a> ; an adapter for a polarizer might soon follow.</p>

<p>Thanks Hans for the link. Quite interesting but expensive, and the fact that I cant use autofocus is a killer for me. Not so much that I need auto focus for landscapes, since I have been using live view, but I also love using it on the streets in low natural light.</p>

<p>@Sheldon, so the 2.8 is critical for me along with the fact that is goes beyond 16mm. I have the ef-s 10-22, that is why I have been putting off the idea of the 16-35L II. The widest I have and currently use for my 5DII is the 24mm f1.4 mkI, dont use much for landscapes but I take out a lot on my 5D2 and 7D for friday night urban photography. I do wish I had a 14mm zoom up to 24 from canon, and fast.</p>

<p>I guess I'll keep on waiting. Before the 7D came out I was about to go over to the dark side, but Canon listened and came out with something better than the d300, I hope they do it again. For the 14-24 and I would also love to see a 24-70L IS.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Angel writes: "Another option I have been contemplating is the ts-e 17mm."</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>Angel later writes: "The fact that I can't use autofocus with the 14-24 is a killer for me."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Note that the Canon 17 TS/E has no more autofocus capabilities than the 14-24 has.</p>

<p>Autofocus for the zoom non landscapes. The ts-e would be something I would use on a tripod for specialized planned shots. The versatility of the nikkor glass is that I would love to use it as a walkaround and some landscapes shots. I am aware of the manual focus only. I was also talking about the feature of the g adapter that I would not be able to use autofoucs, I am sure that you are aware that no adapter is required to shoot a 5d2 with the ts-e, right?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am sure that you are aware that no adapter is required to shoot a 5d2 with the ts-e, right?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, I was not aware that you could use Canon lenses on Canon bodies without an adapter. :)</p>

<p>Btw, I use the 14-24 on the 5D2 (w/ the 16-9 adapter) and it is superb, although I may sell it as I more often use the 24mm TS/E mk II, which is at least as good.</p>

<p>After alot of thought I bought a D700 to use 14-24mm 2.8. Back when I made my decision the adapter was backordered up to 6 months. The adapter itself has evolved as has the price, to some $270 thesedays due to weak dollar and refined version II adapter design improvements.</p>

<p>Having adapted numerous Nikon lenses over the years I find it quite enjoyable to be able to use 14-24mm 2.8 with all its functions available on a Nikon body. After I added the D700 I pretty much stopped adapting Nikon glass to Canon bodies. Its good to have full frame bodies from both Canon and Nikon. Had it not been for 14-24mm 2.8 availability I would not have ever considered that option.</p>

<p>Here's the specific page for the adapter:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.16-9.net/nikon_g/">http://www.16-9.net/nikon_g/</a></p>

<p>I agree that canon need to add a 14-24 to their line-up but have you considered that your preference of the nikon 14-24 over the canon 14mm may have been affected by the bodies you were using them on? the d3 offers greater dynamic range than the 5dmII due to its much larger pixels and is therefore capable of producing more pleasing landscape images in some situations.</p>

<p>The 14mm is a great lens and the 5dII and D3 are more than comparable. I would much rather shoot with the 5dII and have the cropping ability than being able to take low-light handheld shots for landscapes. If you stop down a bit the VERY slightly soft corners go away and certainly are up to par to the 14-24 Nikon. <br>

For all you who keep discussing the G-mount adapter for the Canon keep dreaming....and waiting....and waiting..<br>

http://www.16-9.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=189</p>