Low temp performance

<p>Greetings all,<br>

My friends and I do a cold weather backpacking trip every year, and until recently I've brought along my TLR for some shots.<br>

However, I've never really made any huge prints, so Medium format is kinda overkill. On top of that, I recently purchased a rebel T1i which I would love to bring along for the video capabilities, but we are headed for the summit of Mount Washington in february, where tempratures average from -4f to 12f on the summit. My question is, if I keep a handwarmer or two in the bag with the camera is there any chance of getting some shots?<br>

If I do do this, what are the chances of damaging the camera? Thanks all. -Adam</p>

<p>Leave the handwarmer for emergencies. Keep the camera at ambient temperature, but keep the battery (and spares) in your inside jacket pocket, in your sleeping bag at night. etc.</p>

<p>There is no problem taking a warm camera into cold conditions, but taking a cold camera into warm conditions creates condensation.</p>

<p>Best route is camera out in chest holster for easy access during the day, two batteries rotated between pocket to keep them warm, and enjoy the photo experience. At days end when camping remove battery, stick camera in a plastic ziplock bag with some silica gel sachets to asorb moisture and wrap in a fleece inside the tent.</p>