Would I be crazy if... Nikon D90 vs. D300 for Beginner

r._bond

<p>I'd be more comfortable about cheering her on to get the D300 if she'd been using even a cell phone camera earlier and if money wasn't a consideration. Having friends who are photographers with high end gear doesn't mean a novice needs to keep up with them, especially not if money is tight. Enthusiasm can be contagious but also transitory.</p>

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Ms. Bond, I would advise buying a camera which you can pay for with a month or two's discretionary income, first. Shoot pictures, learn to use a digital photo editing program. Don't put major amounts of money into a completely new hobby. What you're talking about doing is like getting full winter back pack camping gear when you don't even do long walks with a day pack.</p>

<p>Start with the one to two months discretionary income camera and take lots of pictures. Put money aside for the next camera and buy based on what you want to shoot but can't do well with the first camera, what you care about doing more of. </p>

<p>I am still using a D70 2004 camera because I don't need the latest AF. I do still objects, I don't even do people photog. It provides me A3 quality to club competitions. </p>

<p>Sure the D70 has some leaner modes, like running man, the mountain and the night sky with stars. I don't use that. I can use A or S or Manual. I don't see it much different to a D300. Sure if I am a still photographer and I have improved over the years, I cannot see how I can outgrow the D70. What you will find is that while camera models are released they borrow the new features off the high end cameras. What you will find is the D90 in some regards can be better than the D2x.</p>

<p>I have been using SLR's for years and years, and my first digital SLR was a D200. It was a beautifully made camera, but I found I did not use it as much as I could because it was just too darned heavy and bulky for me. After some deliberation, I sold it this year and bought a D90. I am EXTREMELY happy with it. It has better dynamic range than the D200, and for the way I use the camera, (I prefer having a great deal of control over depth of field, and do not usually shoot sporting events), it has exactly what I need in an easily accessible layout. It's light enough that I don't think about it when I am carrying it, which means I use it a great deal more than the D200. I have gotten some really wonderful photos from it as a result.<br>

My advice: Go to a camera store, put your hands on the cameras, see what feels comfortable to your grip, your eyes, and your brain, and get the one that does. The D90 is a really wonderful camera, and you should not hesitate to get it....and start taking photos!!!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The OP is right here (for the people who asked). I'm sorry for not responding right away, but I am here now, and have read every word of every post. Sorry, but the Holiday with the family took up most of my weekend! I truely appreciate every response to the question I posted...I certainly did not expect to have so many people want to give their advice (but I am thankful everyone did). I currently have a point and shoot camera and feel as though it is very limited. Since I have read some books on photography, I have switched from auto mode to manual mode on my camera. But obviously, there is only so much you can do with a p&s. That is why I will purchase a DSLR. I am sure I will end up buying the D90, due to that fact that by the time I become an expert on that camera, their will be even better cameras out there than the current D300s (thanks to those who reminded me of this). I will definitely put more money into lenses (which I actually asked about in a different post and got some great feedback). Thank you to every single person who responded. I enjoyed reading each post thoroughly and loved hearing different people's experiences with different cameras. <br>

By the way, I am a Mrs.</p>